HybridZ

Non Roller to Hydraulic Roller.....Cheap

Thought I would share some of what I had done recently. I recently built a new small block for my Z. Long story short, did everything correct to the T...correct oil, breakin time and rpm ect.... and had two seperate flat tappet cams go flat. So I found some information online where a couple guys were using roller lifters out of 2.2L gm motors, spiders and dog retainers out of later model v8 roller motors in early small blocks with a little machine work on the blocks. So I thought what the hell....I have already spent around $500 on cams and lifters at this point whats another couple 100 gonna hurt. So 49 cent used lifters from a 2.2L cavaleir motors. I already had the spider and retainers out of a later model roller motor and this is where im at.......

IMG00302.jpg

IMG00303.jpg

IMG00304.jpg

IMG00305.jpg

Good thing about this is that you can either use the conventional roller type cam or a retro type cam with just using the correct timing chain/gear and button...Im gonna order a cam this week and should have the motor assembled and running on a test stand before it goes in the car.

James

• Like 1

Will do....But I think in some of the pictures that you are looking at there I had taken after spinning the cam around a couple revolutions and the lifters are kinda sticking up cause the lifter bores are dry. I have another roller block that I put the cam into with the lifters and retainers and the lifters are almost identical in height.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would post a little upadate for anyone interested..... Bought a cam (comp extreme energy) Motor is assembled and I ordered a set of pushrods last night, I should get them before friday and Ill have the motor in the car this weekend and maybe started this weekend also. I went ahead and filled the motor with oil with the intake off and primed it and at 60 psi of pressure the oil coming out the lifters looks about the same as any other motor that I have built....so....so far so good, looks like it should work excellent.

IMG00312.jpg

IMG00313.jpg

Well.....Buttoned it all up, put about a 1/2 a turn into the lifters from 0 lash. Started it up and put 36 degrees of timing in it, runs excellent so far. Took it out for a spin and man o man.....no traction in second gear at all.....fun fun. Seems to run pretty good up to 6 grand. Im gonna go ahead and put a couple miles on it in the next couple weeks and see if everything stays as it should. Oh and I went with a Comp Cams extreme energey retrofit cam...... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-432-8/

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the updates on your progress and completion with this conversion. I love the idea of doing this on the cheap, using GM products that I know will work. The aftermarket roller lifters are too expensive for what they are. I'll be going to a JY and getting the 2.2L lifters when I get the chance, or even ordering some new ones if I can find them cheap too :D I have Edelbrock heads and hopefully the 7.5" rods will work. I will probably run my current flat tappet cam and engine for a while and then upgrade to this roller setup. Nice work, Rusty!

Davy