HybridZ

How To: Paint With Tremclad The Right Way

Meph

Awesome write up, only issue is that the color I want only comes in a spray can. How come all the good colors are not available in gallons or quarts?

You can go to HD/Lowes and order almost any of the Rustoleum Colors in Quarts, and most in gallons. I work a the Special Service desk at Home Depot... I've ordered a lot before.

• 2 years later...

I should update this thread, Ive found a few issues with this method of the years. The main one being that clear coat is high build, so by the time you apply pearl coats and then clear coats you end up with a lot of orange peel and think paint.

Not too much to handle and fix but I found a way to get better results. A lacquer clear coat will lay down A LOT smoother and dry faster. You can use it to mix your pearls into instead of the urethane, and then shoot urethane ontop of it for protection.

I dont have time to get into it too much now, but my latest paint job was

duplicolur deep blue metallic (3 quarts, about $75) from their paint shop line up. I got it in a pinch at canadian tire and it covers well, lays down super smooth and have a nice metallic effect.

then I coated it with 2 full coats of clear coat that I got for $150, it was something like 7.5L spray able , which would be enough to clear coat almost 4 Z's, it used it on everything, my car, my emblems, rims and its been really nice product.

580-582-large.jpg

Id really recommend this process to anyone thinkning of painting their car. But research and take appropriate health protection measures.

DONT use duplicolour primer or clear coat!! The base is good, but not worth it for the other stuff that doesnt come out well.

For primer, if your spray red over red ect, I would skip it in exchange for an extra coat or two of colour. If you have bondo to cover you will need to bite the bullet and get some primer, if you can get some high build lacquer primer get it (I got 2 gallons at a liquidation store for 5 bucks but that was a steal) but I think some cheap enamel primer like tremclad or the discount brand would be fine, thin it with lacquer thinner and give it lots of time (3+ days to dry before shooting the lacquer duplicolor over it ( and sand the primer first too with 400-600).

Sorry for the rushed post, but ask question if needed!

I've been considering a full Tremclad paintjob recently, I painted my driver fender and front air dam with tremclad last summer, to have the whole car more or less one colour.

I'm now thinking of actually repairing some of the body that needs it and painting it close to my proposed colour.

Wonder if I can get it done before ZFest?