HybridZ

New weatherstrip alternative

malus_rex

Not sure if any socal guys have done this. But I went to the Ecology High performance swamp-meet out in Long Beach. Came across a guy that sells weather stripping and I picked up 28ft of weather stripping for the doors. Managed to install them today and I'm happy with the results. Needs a little slam to close but thats cause they're still new. Haven't done a water test yet but I'll let you guys know how it goes once I wash the car.

post-6055-073105500 1349650981_thumb.jpg

post-6055-001126200 1349650993_thumb.jpg

post-6055-059039000 1349651024_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if any socal guys have done this. But I went to the Ecology High performance swamp-meet out in Long Beach. Came across a guy that sells weather stripping and I picked up 28ft of weather stripping for the doors. Managed to install them today and I'm happy with the results. Needs a little slam to close but thats cause they're still new. Haven't done a water test yet but I'll let you guys know how it goes once I wash the car.

This looks identical to the McMaster-Carr weatherstripping, but looks like you got a better price.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone comment if there's something different about the 260Z body and doors that makes them so hard to shut on seals? I just bought a set of door seals from vintagerubber, and while they're excellent fit and quality, the door just won't bloody close. Its as if the seal is WAY too thick. Putting all my weight against the door and it still won't shut enough to line up with the body panels and fender. 

Can someone comment if there's something different about the 260Z body and doors that makes them so hard to shut on seals? I just bought a set of door seals from vintagerubber, and while they're excellent fit and quality, the door just won't bloody close. Its as if the seal is WAY too thick. Putting all my weight against the door and it still won't shut enough to line up with the body panels and fender.

Probably still a little cold in your neighborhood for the seals to compress and conform. Wait until summer when they can soften from the heat on a sunny day. What you're experiencing is typical of new seals until they can experience a few warm days in the sun.

Dennis

I actually saw the local Z shop use a ratchet strap to pull the doors in to compress the weatherstripping a bit. 

The mallet idea works as well. I want to say I used a wood block and a rubber mallet to force it in without damaging the rubber a bit to make it livable, before I decided to do the kia weatherstripping.

I hammered the seals in a bit more and used a heat gun on them. It allowed me to slam the door shut all the way... I left it closed, hopefully they compress further. I could still probably stand to adjust the door itself.. but it seems a daunting task.

For what its worth, the Vintage Rubber seals are top quality. 

@seattlejester where did they hook the straps? That's an interesting idea... 

Edited by thedarkie

Memory doesn't serve as well, but the door panels were off. I want to say two around the whole body and one pulling the arm rests (some sacrificial ones I imagine). He said he leaves it like that for a week or two to really get it to adjust a bit. 

He had a whole spiel about the owners changing and why the results have been variable and the change in rubber compounds used etc etc, he actually does quite a bit of testing for precision. Actually was upset with me when I told him I changed out the precision gaskets lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I just installed front Door seals from a 2003 hyundai elantra GT, and a Hatch seal from a 1990 Honda crx. With a bit of trimming everything fit fine and seems to seal rather well.
the Elantra Trim also has a nice ear piec that sticks right into the corner of the door frame. I don't have internet on my phone but I'll try and snag my gf's to take some pics and post them up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Anyone come up wth alternatives for the rear hatch seals on the S30?

there was a recent post on classicZcars that states the Sportage seal can be used on the hatch as well.  I think  that means you use Sthe Aportage hatch seal on the S30 hatch?