HybridZ

New weatherstrip alternative

malus_rex

• 8 months later...

i just put 2001 ranger door seals on mine yesterday. after the precision weatherstrip finally caused my door handle to break off. It is still a little tight to close, but nowhere near as bad as the precision rubber was. At least now you can pull the door handle open with 1 finger, with the precision it felt like you were going to rip the door handles off(which it eventually did). I haven't had a chance to spray it with a hose yet to check for leaks, but put a spotlight on the inside and couldn't see and light anywhere. The seal looks like the jc whitney drawing on their website.

Here's what it looks like. I tried to get the Kia but just about every one was bad. The Kia was made out of paper thin rubber. This was a little heavier duty. I looked through lots of cars and not very many cars come with a square corner anymore. There were a few elantras but all their weatherstripping was crumbling like the kia, and all were a couple years newer than the ranger. I suspect they use lower quality rubber from the looks of things.

post-37191-0-90850100-1445694751_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-59055800-1445694784_thumb.jpg

Edited by socorob

I don't know. The ranger rubber appeared to be higher quality, as in slightly thicker rubber, and it was disintegrating like all the kias were that were almost the same age. I still haven't did the hose test yet, but can't see any light coming through when putting a spotlight behind it. I read a few people said the kias leaked, so i pulled a piece off the kia and went looking for one that was just slightly larger.

Ive got water coming in my car from somewhere, but i havent gotten that far yet. Its still got a long ways to go. The windshield seal has a small gap that I taped over and still had water coming in. It hasnt been running, and just sitting in the driveway during progress. Moved to the garage today, so It'll have time to dry. I've had the rubber floormat collecting water for the past few months. lol