HybridZ

New weatherstrip alternative

malus_rex

why cant you just buy like a roll of weather stripping and put it on your car, as youd buy like a roll of tape. i understand the curves and everything its got, but over time, wouldnt it mate up? sure its new, so itll be a little more expensive, but its rubber being pushed through some sort of extrusion. how expensive can that be?

why cant you just buy like a roll of weather stripping and put it on your car, as youd buy like a roll of tape. i understand the curves and everything its got, but over time, wouldnt it mate up? sure its new, so itll be a little more expensive, but its rubber being pushed through some sort of extrusion. how expensive can that be?

It could work, but the 90 degree corners would be an issue.

The roll of strip can't bend 90 degrees and stay in place, you could cut it but that could cause it to be a leak since its no longer sealed together and would be a point that moves alot from door opening/closing.

I was going to buy the repro weather stripping but from what I've found alot of people are unhappy of how unforgiving and thick it is causing door closing issues.

Found this thread and found the Kia Spectra in the pick n pull and after looking at how it fits in the Kia and how my stock stripping sat in my car at the moment it made more sense to go with something from a newer car that fit 99% and was easier to use ( as well as the cheapest option :mrgreen: ).

It had the 90 degree for the upper corner by the 1/4 glass and started to turn in the same area's that the stock Z doors turn allowing it to fit nicely as well as it is more pliable like the others mentioned and thinner yet thick enough to fit and seal without causing major door closing issue's.

Now the Kia Spectra's stripping is ~ 1 foot short like I mentioned in my earlier post so using a straight peice from the rear door stripping is needed and can be glued in place to make it a single seal or just cut to fit and put in place which is what I did. I don't see any problems with leaving it as is due to the fact it's in the middle of the bottom of the door where in my mind I don't see too much water getting in as it's the bottom of the door where water would have to go under the door and straight up and not the top where water comes down right into the car. Could be wrong though so we will see when it starts to really pour here...

I would go for the Kia Sportage which is what the original poster used as it's longer and only needs 1 cut made to make it fit whereas the Spectra needs a peice added for it to work meaning it'll have 2 cut places. I just couldn't find a Sportage in the junkyard that I go to.

• 2 weeks later...

I found not one, but two, Kia Sportages (both 1997) today in a 4X4 junkyard in my area. Between the two, I found a perfect pair of front door seals. The bastage wants $30 for the pair, though. Seems a little high, but I guess I'll buy them anyway, while I have the opportunity.

But I just wanted to let others know, the upper corner (1997 Kia Sportage weatherstrip) where the door window meets the quarter window is slightly rounded. It's NOT a crisp, sharp angle like the Zcar weatherstrip. Granted, the Kia weatherstrip's curve in that area is a very short radius. One could cut it at an angle and join the two ends together with glue, just to get a stock look, or possibly a better seal. I'll see what's required when I pick them up on Monday and test fit them on my '77.

For the guys that used the KIA Sportage weather stripping...were the driver's and passenger's side pieces the same? I called a KIA dealer about OEM new parts and they gave me one part # for both right and left:

0K018-59760B

Can anyone confirm this? I only ask because I Googled it and the number above came back as:

Part Description: D00R WTHSTP LHFrom Partspool.com.

Obviously, I'm inclined to believe the dealer, but it isn't like I've been screwed by the OEM parts guys before and being in Japan, I would *hate* to have to return that part all the way back to CONUS...:-)

Yeah, I have a feeling there is probably a left and right seal as well, but kinda hard to argue with the parts guy 1/2 'round the world. KIA is not sold in Japan...wel, you can pretty much say that aout any Korean car in Japan, so I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed.

If anyone is looking to double their money on a junk yard find of some nice Sportage weather seals, please PM me. It rained here hard all day yesterday and my passenger side (side with the intact weather stripping) was like a kiddie pool. I sealed the drivers side (tore the seal out) with press n' seal and it kept all the rain out :-)

R

D

I wear hoody shirts when I go to the wrecker. If I need something small enough to fit in the cubby pocket (like weather stripping), that's where she goes. I overpay more than enough on lots of stuff from there on a frequent basis, so I don't feel bad about it.

I wear hoody shirts when I go to the wrecker. If I need something small enough to fit in the cubby pocket (like weather stripping), that's where she goes. I overpay more than enough on lots of stuff from there on a frequent basis, so I don't feel bad about it.

lol, weatherstripping for the door's is going to be more of a hang it around your next and let it drop down into your pant leg mission, then simply rolling it up and shoving it in your pocket.

95 cavalier weatherstripping installed... not terribly pleased with the fit. Really have to slam the door to get it to close. ive left it shut for 2 days, i will check it out later. if it still is a pain to close.. then back to the jy to find more..

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Fellas,

This stuff fits AWESOME. The strips have the integrated welting (it's got kind of a cool cross-hatched texture on it) with the seal itself and you can pinch the channel together to make it fit tighter.

I was going to add some silicone to the channel for a tighter fit, but it's on there pretty good now (it takes a firm tug to pull it off the channel).

Anyway, as mentioned the corner is radiused instead of a tight 90* corner but it still seems to seal in that area pretty good.

Also, when trimming to fit make sure you "scrunch" the piece back onto itself as it accordions a bit...you'll see what I mean if you try this.

Finally, just for clarification. There is no right and left side. You can simply turn the part around to make the seal side fit whichever door you like. I switched the pax side door to the driver's side and basically just had to orient it seal side out.

In the last pic you can see the seam I had to make. Again, cut it with more overlap than you think because the stuff will push back on itself. If you cut it to just fit, it'll come up way short.

Pics, enjoy (courtesy of crappy iphone cam):

9b84c8d4.jpg

b0e0fbc3.jpg

33723781.jpg

David,

No, my buddy got them out of a junk yard for me and shipped them here. I will say that I called the KIA dealer in Boulder, CO (near my brother just in case a pick-up was necessary) and they were like $75 per door new. I will for sure buy a new set and replace these when I refurb the interior.

Door closure is awesome...no more slamming. Truly, it's like closing the door on a new car. I'll test the sealing capability tomorrow...planning a trip through the drive-through car wash to simulate a nice down-pour.

Also, I'm sorry about taking so long to head over to the Nissan dealer to ask about the mirrors (I'm interested in the black ones myself). I've been leaving work late for the last month and every time I get there, the parts side is closed. I'm going to ask my wife to call them tomorrow instead of driving over...I'll let you know.

R/

D