HybridZ

New weatherstrip alternative

malus_rex

For the hatch, I install mustang fox body(1979-93 hatch weatherstrip) they are pretty good. The design is similar to 2nd RX-7(FC), it has aluminum piece insert, so you need to bend around the upper corner to get it right. And the best part is it only cost about $20 NEW on ebay.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to go with the weatherstipping #1120A33 from McMaster-Car. I am really regretting buying it as it does not even seal at the top of the door on my '78 280z. Am I missing something or should I just try something else, I would hate to think I wasted $45.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to add my two pennies to the McMaster-Carr 1120A33; just installed in my 76 280z and I have no problems to report. Granted, I did not have the opportunity to try the garden hose test and see just how well it seals, but I must say it looks great and I don't see any issues arising anytime soon. No big issues with the doors having to slam shut; I noticed that my drivers' door seemed to shut almost like a new car afterwords, passenger door about the same as before. Instead of trying to contour the 90 degree corner however, I treated it kind of like you do J-channel around windows/vinyl siding- I cut/started from the corner working forward, but I notched the center of the groove about 3/8" so that it would essentially slide the rubber "bulb" more towards the rear, and the vertical piece (other end) ends up butting up square underneath. I still need to add a dab of black silicone/rtv but this way I don't have to worry about kinking the weatherstrip in the corner, worrying about it eventually pushing out/off.

Anyways, thanks to lumberjackj for bringing it up!

Cheers,

JK

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I purchased the Precision kit in 2001 from 1aauto.com for my 240. Finally put the seals on last July (2010). Had to slam doors to get them shut, bottom and top was being pushed out about 3/16".

All the pressure kept making the strips come loose by the door latch. I got fed up after gluing them on a couple of times. Decided to try the McMaster seals. Looks like the actual part number is now 1120A333.

The McMaster seals are great. Doors shut perfectly, 25' was plenty. The built on welting looks great.

• 2 months later...

Apologies on bumping an old thread but for those of you with the Sportage weatherstrip, I installed my brand new set today and I found that there was still water leaking in during the hose test.

The window frame is in contact with the seal but obviously it's not very tight. What have you folks done to move the window frame area in for a tighter seal?

• 3 months later...

Apologies on bumping an old thread but for those of you with the Sportage weatherstrip, I installed my brand new set today and I found that there was still water leaking in during the hose test.

The window frame is in contact with the seal but obviously it's not very tight. What have you folks done to move the window frame area in for a tighter seal?

The kia sportage seals are good for me, well the driver side at least. I paid $30 shipped for 2 rear 2000 Sportage seals, and the driver is snug, the passenger's window frame and door is bad so there's a little gap. Paper test passed on the driver door while passenger door top area is not as tight. But it rained and it sealed fine. I had to tweek the upper window frame a bit. But overall satisfied, i was running with no seals at all, and surely $30 is a hella lot better without the doors vibrating while driving.

Still need a rear hatch seal. Any cheap parts from cars?

I tried 240sx hatch rear seal, and way too thick, so cross 240sx hatchback seals or Z32. Way different in design too.

Prices are ridiculous, $1,000 dollars I can buy a running 240z for the price of seals. Need to find rear seals that came off a newer car we can get at the junk yards...come on guys! yay.

Edited by Ducer

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the junkyard and got a rear hatch seal from a 90's Subaru Impreza and a 88 Honda Civic Crx. The Impreza seal fits better(tighter) but is 6 inches too short.

The Crx seal is longer so I had to cut the length down. I was amazed the the rubber on the Crx seal was still pliable for such old car. The Crx seal looks close to factory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well I just tried the MSA weatherstrip kit and the precision door seals it came with still suck. I bought the kit in 2011 after they finally started selling them again. Its a 1975 280Z and the doors wont shut correctly. The seals are still being made too thick. The inner hatch seal also causes the decklid to bulge slightly when shut...ugh. <_<