HybridZ

Cop rant

thrustnut

I was driving home one night and I had just gotten off the freeway and I had a car come up behind me pretty quick. I'm doing maybe 1 or 2 over the speed limit (30). The car starts to creep closer and closer. I couldn't tell that it was a cop due to me not having the greatest night vision and his headlights blinding me. He eventually got so close that I couldn't see the headlights anymore. At this point I'm getting really mad because I hate being tailgated. He follows me like that for a few blocks and comes extremely close to hitting me when I come to a red light. After a couple more blocks I brake check him. He backs off a bit and when I turn down my alley I realized it was a cop.

I understand following somebody for a little while, but that was absolutely unnecessary. If I had gotten the car number I would have filed a complaint. If I'm supposed to keep a cars length between me and the car in front of me, then so should a cop. If I had been hit you better believe I would have sued for damages and made sure they lost their badge.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some places that have a graduated licensing system where the person has time and passenger limitations. In BC they have rules where someone with their "N" (black and green magnet with the letter N on it, about 5x6" large) may not be driving past midnight, have more than 2 passengers in their car without someone 25 or older present, and as many as they want with someone 25 or older present.

I'm sure this isn't the cause, but there's a good possibility similar laws are in place in other areas that may cause somewhat of a hassle for drivers

I was driving home one night and I had just gotten off the freeway and I had a car come up behind me pretty quick. I'm doing maybe 1 or 2 over the speed limit (30). The car starts to creep closer and closer. I couldn't tell that it was a cop due to me not having the greatest night vision and his headlights blinding me. He eventually got so close that I couldn't see the headlights anymore. At this point I'm getting really mad because I hate being tailgated. He follows me like that for a few blocks and comes extremely close to hitting me when I come to a red light. After a couple more blocks I brake check him. He backs off a bit and when I turn down my alley I realized it was a cop.

I understand following somebody for a little while, but that was absolutely unnecessary. If I had gotten the car number I would have filed a complaint. If I'm supposed to keep a cars length between me and the car in front of me, then so should a cop. If I had been hit you better believe I would have sued for damages and made sure they lost their badge.

You should not brake check anyone, and if they hit you because you brake checked them, I am pretty sure it is considered your fault.

I don't have any story about a cop following me, but unless they have their lights on, they need to obey the laws. In the past, say, six months, the few cars that I have seen BLATANTLY breaking the 25mph speed limit where I live have all been cops. Ridiculous. No lights or anything either, going at what I would estimate to be at least 40mph through a residential area.

Following too closely is never the car in front's fault...

That's about the time you wish you had a reds hydraulic kit to flash your brakelights and pump your butt up in the air like you are braking hard...but ACCELERATE AWAY. They hop on the brakes hard and wet their pants...

Then, oh then you're really in for it! But man I would set up a camera in the bumper to take a flash photograph of their face. I would look at it whenever I wondered why I was standing in line to pay whatever fine it was...

The look on their faces would be WAY worth it!

What can I say, I'm warped...

Hey MastersMechanic, did the little old lady follow you to the house to get the number off your car? I would think it a little risky to follow a cop...that would be hard to explain (not to mention potentially hazardous, depending on the call). What number do you need exactly? Licence plate? I never paid that much attention, but are the cars numbered (other then the roof)? I would never do something to intentionally get myself in hot water, when I do get stopped, I make sure my hands are in the officers sight, no sudden movements, all that stuff. I try to show them as much respect as possible, and in most cases deserved. But I swear, then next time this happens, I will do whatever it takes to get the info I need and report it directly. There are way to many officers out there trying to do the right thing for the few A-holes out there to make them look bad.

You should not brake check anyone, and if they hit you because you brake checked them, I am pretty sure it is considered your fault.

I only hit my brakes for a split second and then hit the gas. Just enough to wake them up. But your right. I shouldn't do it. Being tailgated is one of the things that really gets to me. Can't stand it. Besides. If I had just accelerated to get away I would have been pulled over and been ticketed for speeding.

I see cops break the law around here all the time. Just a couple days ago I saw a cop racing to a red light with his lights off, took a left turn from the right lane with no blinker, and turned his lights on just to get through the red light. Almost caused an accident. We have some that are respectful so we give them respect. Others are @$$holes and demand respect so my friends and I all remind them that we pay their wages.

I had a cop on me at 1AM a long time ago when I worked at a convenience store that closed at midnight. Back then I was not passive and tended to get fed up with these games. He was following along very closely and I put my blinker on and turned in a car wash before he made up his mind to follow me, then I pulled right out behind him and followed him to the next intersection. After he started into the intersection straight I turned right and started driving away. He pulled a U and turned to follow me again, then pulled me over for nothing. He didn't give a ticket or warnings, said he liked the country music I was playing and said he just wanted to follow me long enough to make sure I wasn't drunk. I have several funny stories about getting pulled over that didn't result in tickets when they should have :mrgreen:

When I was 16 my Mom had a 1967 Mercedes Benz 200D. It was a really clean car, the PO drove it to work and back every day (which was less then five miles total) and it was kept in a garage every night. My Dad bought it for her an an estate sale when the guy passed away. Anyway, I was driving home after a date one night and got stopped by the police. I pulled into a 7-11 parking lot (my first time getting pulled over) and the cop wanted to know if the car had a recent emission test because it was smoking quite a bit. I explained to him it was a diesel, and ended up spending the next fifteen minuets showing him the car. He was pretty cool and impressed with the condition of the car. Guess that's a good first encounter with the police.

Wow, you guys get pulled over a lot... Last time I got pulled over it was for going 95 in a 65, on my way . I told the trooper I was passing a big rig before the road goes down to 1 lane. The cop accepted that, and asked if he could look in the back, I poped the hatch and yelled back, " hey there's some crackers in that bag back ther, could you toss those forward" he did, then he came up and was asking if my car was a porsche... Didn't get a ticket tho so it's good.

Best thing I can tell you if you get pulled over tho, is to turn on your dome light. Cops don't like not being able to see in the car. you can roll your window down too, cuz cops hate knocking... but when they come up, make sure your hands are on the wheel.

Phar

All the cars I know about have different plates, the plates and time of the day are what you need. then call dispatch and ask to talk to a Sgt. The Sgt. will stick up for there team but rest assured they do have to document it(at least in Washington they do).

Tips on getting pulled over;

1: Pull over into a safe spot(but don't go over board)

2: Roll down your window and put your hands on the top of the steering wheel(if you have dark tinted windows put both hands on the door so the officer can see them when walking up)

3: Don't go looking for everything untill the officer says to.(really nice to have everything tidy and in an easy to get location)

4: do not get out of your car unless the officer asks you to(good way to look at the barrel of their sidearm).extreme officer saftey issue.

5: try to be curtious(most likely they will be)

On the blue hair I parked in her neighbor's driveway and walked to the location about two houses down. and while searching the house I saw a lady out the window with a pad of paper and a pen writing down the cars information. I wondered what she was doing I found out the next day.

Did you know that every time you get stopped the officer has to write a report on the contact if he gives you a ticket or not. I average about 70% of my time writting reports and entering evidence.

Sorry if I sound one sided. I used to hate cops. I used to get pulled over once or twice a week. only 3 tickets though. then I became a mechanic for the county.(ever want to put a remote controll shut off on a cops fuel pump relay. hee hee). then one day a detective asked if I would like to go on a ride along. and then the ball started rolling riding along once a week, going to practice shoots. They got sick of me riding and not doing anything and sent me to reserve academy, what a blast I recomend going on a ride along to everyone, sorta get to see their side of it.

We've gone through this before. Us Z drivers have it "rough". :P

I've been pulled over for it being late and for silly driving. The late night was because I was looking for a place to grab a bite to eat. Here in Keller, lots of police and not very many cars at night. I pass by the Wataburger which I tend to avoid because everyone who has caused trouble in Keller, causes it there. Fights with bats, drugs, guns, cars, etc at that one location and nowhere else. So I go on and try Taco Bell thinking it was 24/7. The officer sees me pulling in and stops me, but without the lights. Simple as it is, asked him where I can find food. He says Wataburger and I told him how scary people go there at this hour. Respectful and understanding. Wataburger was dilicious but as expected, there were some kids tripping out on something in the back corner when I went in.

The second time I was entering into a turn. Speedlimit is 40mph, I'm doing 40mph on my speedo which is 5mph fast so that SHOULD be 35mph. The turn has a the yellow hazard sign saying like 15mph. Well damnit I don't need to go slower than ♥♥♥♥ to make a turn with a Z that has nothing in it but me. So I go through there maintaining my 35-40mph (whichever it may be). Police officer sitting right there as I'm exiting out of the turn. Now my revs were a bit high, maybe 4000rpm and the car is loud so its deceiving however he pulled me over for speeding. First thing he says to me is "What was that all about" and I didn't want to be a smart ass but I seriously didn't know what he was referring to since I saw no problem. I said what do you mean, he said with an assuring voice that I was speeding. Now this is where I gave him the chance to own me because I said "oh, well my speedometer is a bit off. What did you clock me in as? I thought I was fine" he comes back getting antsy saying "you were speeding". I just looked at him waiting for a number to be announced but he goes back into his car so I was like uh.... ok? I mean for god sake I was pulled over a week ago and got a ticket so I was pretty sure that obeying the law was top priority. I honestly think he went back into his car to go warm up or tinker with some buttons for a while so it looked like he did something because he came back out and said take it easy and quickly got out of there. Like, stormed off.

It was hilarious. He pulled me over without clocking my speed. I'm guessing the looks of the car, the noise, and the fact that I'm not a little wienie through turns on dry roads, deceived him.

All in all though, its nice to have them around. Get pulled over, so what unless you're late to something. My mom entered her honda into some program where if its after 2 AM or something and the officer sees the little sticker on the window, he will pull you over no matter what and check to make sure its not stolen. I'm considering doing this with my car too.

I'm not worried about doing something wrong, just like nismo said, if you follow someone long enough (or press hard enough when pulled over) I'm sure you can make a person nervous enough to get a ticket out of them. When your getting followed for a distance by a cop where is your attention? Mine is in my rearview waiting for the pretty blue lights. Thanks for the info Masters, I will keep it in mind next time I have one all over my bumper for half my ride home.

He was probably running your info through the computer. He didn't have you clocked but he probably was checking you out. I got out of a 70 in a 60 on a lonely toll road because he saw that I didn't have any tickets or warnings on my record and probably figured I wasn't a menace to society. He told me as much and gave me a warning.

On another note, I have a friend looking to sign on the Dallas Police Reserves so he can get a badge and a gun. He said he wants to ask for extra pairs of handcuffs, and if possible the whole shackle get up for his crazy out of control kids. He was joking of course, but there really are different sorts out there.

He was probably running your info through the computer. He didn't have you clocked but he probably was checking you out. I got out of a 70 in a 60 on a lonely toll road because he saw that I didn't have any tickets or warnings on my record and probably figured I wasn't a menace to society. He told me as much and gave me a warning.

On another note, I have a friend looking to sign on the Dallas Police Reserves so he can get a badge and a gun. He said he wants to ask for extra pairs of handcuffs, and if possible the whole shackle get up for his crazy out of control kids. He was joking of course, but there really are different sorts out there.

Nah, he really thought I was speeding from the way we were going back and forth. I wasn't giving attitude but I was stating the questions in a way that cornered him so all he was left with is "no you were speeding". Obviously didn't want to admit that I wasn't being clocked, because if I were to be clocked, my speed would be 35mph in a 40mph zone. I guess you could try and make a reckless driving argument however the warning signs are simply that, warning signs. It isn't a mandated 20mph, just a suggested limit. If I were in a truck or a fully loaded car then I'd go 20mph but otherwise 35-40 is easy in almost any car. I'm betting you could do 60+ with regular car and tires.

Guest Rolling Parts

Ha Ha,

From what I've read, in Dallas you don't need to be a cop if you just want to have a gun and a badge and a black Ford and go after the crazies out there:

http://startelegram.typepad.com/crime_time/fake_cops/

What the F is the deal? It's pretty irritating that you can do nothing wrong (other then driving a semi-loud camed out sports car) and have cops up your butt your whole drive home. Sorry for the long rant, this isn't the first time it's happened in the Z, just getting a little peeved.

I guess he was being a d-bag. Maybe the town is so small that he didn't expect traffic and wanted to see if you'd spook and run for it. It's probably a scare tactic to get a reason to pull you over.

Then again, there's no difference when some civilian does it. Still makes them a d-bag.

So get this, pretty funny story.

I was driving the Z home again last night and decided to drive through town again, what are the chances of another cop right? So I get to the Butte, just a little farther then the last time and look in the rear view... and what the F is that? The head lights are a little different, but I can see the street lights shining off the light bar on the roof. I start laughing to my self a little as I pull up to a red light, look back again... and it's a rent-a-cop.