HybridZ

Engine decision time..

b0bnuts

So i'm at a point where I need to make a decision regarding the engine swap in my 260. I bought the car with aspirations of a vq35 swap. However, I have a spare L28 sitting around and have contemplated rebuilding it and grabbing a turbo manifold and some new pistons etc for a turbo l28 set up.

Now someone has offered to buy my spare l28 and I have to make a decision. Sell the easier and most likely cheaper start to a swap?

My goal is 300whp, and I've seen a lot of members putting up those numbers on l28et's, but the vq35 could also reach these numbers easily as well. Any advice?

If you are on a budget a Turbo L28 is going to be MUCH better for you.

Once you have the infrastructure there, you can upgrade fairly easily [i.e. replacing the long block, bigger turbo, etc] whereas a VQ35 is going to be pretty limited with power upgrades, and you'll need to be a fairly decent fabricator unless you have deep pockets.

Mercedes Benz M104.99x ;)

But seriously, it's all about how you want the power applied.

Both can easily reach 300whp, both can even hit 300hp NA (ok well kinda). The power applicaion of the VQ at 300hp is going to be decidedly more linear while the old' L is going to be much more "exponential" as the turbo spools. However, all that money you spend scouring for VQ parts and all the stuff you need to stuff it in there, you could be spending on making the L28 more powerful.

My vote is the L28, they just sound good ;)

whereas a VQ35 is going to be pretty limited with power upgrades, and you'll need to be a fairly decent fabricator unless you have deep pockets.

Limited? What's limited about twin turbos? :wink:

To the OP, if you think that dropping an L28ET in is the same difficulty level and price range as installing a VQ powertrain, then you definitely need to do some more searching. I would recommend L-series in that case.

Limited? What's limited about twin turbos? :wink:

To the OP, if you think that dropping an L28ET in is the same difficulty level and price range as installing a VQ powertrain, then you definitely need to do some more searching. I would recommend L-series in that case.

I know for a fact the l28et will be easier and cheaper than a vq. I was interested in hearing other's thoughts on going with the easier swap that I already have many of the parts for, or go with the original plan (http://www.vq240z.com-a.googlepages.com/ was my inspiration and the reason I bought a Z in the first place).