HybridZ

The BlueOvalZ wins the Cardomain SOTW

blueovalz

Just as the Phoenix arose from the ashes, my old 240Z took the Cardomain “Show-off of the week†award. It’s nice to see folks still liking the old girl. I kinda feel like a proud papa again…sniff…sniff. It has been in Kit Car, Z-car magazine, and even a little blip in AutoWeek on their 50 anniversary project.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2168777

:2thumbs: Congrats Terry. The picture that I saw in the link with the car on the grass was a different angle and really made the car look better than I've ever seen it look before. Side note--I had a friend come over and we did a HORRIBLE patch on her van conversion's roof which had a hole. I showed her your car as an example of what FRP could be like, needless to say she was impressed.

Congrats! That'll show the nay sayers. You are a master. I wish I had the eye/talent so that I could finish my project.

Not to bust anyones bubble but i have yet to see a datsun z win showoff. The older z is basically unheard of to most people on cardomain and they dont recieve alot of hits. Usually a more common vehicle becomes showoff like a "honda", "toyota" or "nissan".

Although I did log on and vote for him!

See! I voted for the Texaco one as well. Keep voting! Maybe Terry will share the gas!

... so where's the update on the latest project?

Cameron

Well Cameron, since you did ask ;);) ;)

Being this will probably be my last big car project, and I've always dreamed of owning a CanAm replica, I decided to just about fully scratch-build this thing. Yes, I got some parts to start it off with, but to date, this car is 95% fabricated, 5% orignal Mirage framing. Heck, I spent $300 in steel to build a table and rotisserie just to get started. 9 months later, this is where I'm at.

standard.jpg

Yes, the tires are on backwards

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Drivetrain will be an LSx coupled to a 930 transaxle

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Once again, please vote for the Texaco car of the decades (see previous post). Other than the "2000s", no other import has busted 3rd place. Right now we're getting beat by a purple Pacer...yes, you read that correctly...a Pacer.

I remember seeing pictures and thinking the front end was screwed up on that Manta when you got it. Looks just a LITTLE bit different now. I wish you were documenting everything here, because it's always a learning experience to read your threads. Maybe you could share the URL of your manta build thread on their forum. Looks pretty damn good!

Everythings fine. Just want to stop building for a while and enjoy, so I'm putting my all into this one until finished.

Got the axles today, dry sump is headed this way, and both oil coolers arrived today as well. So I should be busy for a while.

Terry, the Blue Oval Z, in both incarnations has always been a huge inspiration for me. The new project is even more so.

I hope to get back into the hobby more fully some day, and I will definitely look you and your threads/sites up! If only more one-off car designers and the big manufacturers could create such beautiful shapes and machinery tied together with such ingenious engineering and fabrication skills.

You and your cars deserves many more awards than they will probably ever get! Best of Luck on the Texaco contest!