HybridZ

LS1 Basic cost, no extras

Hi guys,

New to the forum, but not to the car. I sold my Z 4 years ago, the guy just called me and wants to sell it back, hes losing his eyesight, and I want it back so Im picking it up this weekend.

I found the thread with the cost im about to ask about however, everyone just posted all their costs related to their Z in general.

Its a 77 straight body, no issues, looks like crap but I dont care. I never care how my cars look, just how they perform.

I've been thinking and and Ive been doing the research and I want to drop a LS1 into it. But here is where my question may differ from anyone else.

I just want to know the basic, no bs costs of getting the motor and tranny and the components required to get the job done. Dont want to build the motor up. Just a stock LS1 and a T56 into the car. Nothing fancy, no eye candy. I have a good friend that is a whiz in the shop and has built many many high performance cars of all types so we know what were getting into. Just bare minimum, get the engine and tranny into my car, running fine. Whats the ballpark idea or bare minimum?

Well onther than the cost of the engine and tranny, there are a wide array of options. Just for the swap here is a site that was found with some searching.

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Datsun_Order.html

But we need more info, not a general I want to put X engine in my S30. What parts will you upgrade? What is your budget? Will you fab the mounts and brackets? ect.

Sorry I don't have a total cost as I have not done a V8 swap, but these questions are ask VERY often and only YOU can know what you need and dont need.

Sorry if that came off harsh but there are a few members with a running totals.

I dont want to upgrade anything I dont have to. Ill try to put this as plain as possible.

I simply want the motor and tranny in the car, running the right way. If its completely stock out of a firebird/camara/corvette whatever and into my Z, perfect.

Aesthetics mean nothing to me, i just want to turn the key and go with a V-8 under the hood thats not gonna blow up after 1k miles.

My budget is whatever the bare minimum is to make it work.

I was planning on using a few of the items sold at JCI to make it work if thats a cheaper way to go.

I just want the simplest and plainest way to get it in and running and im looking for a ballpark idea. Im not looking for a year long project. The rest of the car is perfectly fine the way it is. Would rather drop it in, hook it up, make whatever adjustments and go.....

having done a ls1 conversion i would say you have at bare minium of $2500 of extras over cost of motor and gearbox you may do better if you can source parts cheaper using a camaro engine and gearbox is best other things i would suggest u need are jci basic kit , Jtr extractors , tail shaft shorten end changed , gearbox mount and cross member , high pressure fuel pump and regulator , burn securities off computer and modify wiring loom

extras that you may require upgraded radiator ,speedo drive, tacho ,brake upgrade

and plenty of tyres hope this helps

mick

Bare bones would be:

JCI motor/tranny mount kit : $300?

driveshaft: $2-300?

Headers to clear steering shaft : $300?

exhuast: $1-800 depending

wiring of PCM to power/ground/fuel pump/starter: varies

fuel pump- $80-500 depending

coolant hoses: $50

intake and filter: depends but $35-100

heater hose: $20

Thats median price of $1700 or so PLUS motor/tranny and fluids

I got my motor set for $3k (ls1 and t56 with 40k miles)

So $4700 bare bare bones IMO - unless u use factory manifolds and can get a dirt cheap exhuast then you can knock a decent amount from that, but I'm not sure if the stock manifolds clear the steering. Also better hope the stock radiator is up to the job.

Then add the technically optional:

-make tach/speedo/guages work

-better brakes/tires

Good luck.

$5,871.12

that is the exact cost of a basic bare bones LS1 swap. down to the penny.

im pretty sure it's $5,871.13 but close enough.... haha.

my engine and tranny (t56) came from an 01 trans am ws6 with ~30k miles and cost me $4200 with the computer, pedals, and clutch reservoir.

id start looking in salvage yards or salvage yards with ebay. they usually have them packaged nice on a pallet ready to go. only problem with that is you have no idea how long they have been in the weather.

another good way to go is if you know a dealer with a license to get wrecked cars at the auction. see if they can get the whole car with as little front end damage as possible. then you get everything you need for the swap plus lots of extra parts to resell and get most of your $$ back. usually the whole car wont cost much more than just the engine/tranny combo.

From another post in here's my costs. Add $450 since I blew-up the shortened Camaro driveshaft. There's a thread in LS1Tech.com where someone does it for $1500 using truck engine:

"Cost (best I can remember so it's close):

Wrecked '02 Z28 $6500

Sold ~$2000 maybe more before I'm done

Headers $460

Exhaust $250

K&N $35

Intake rubber elbow ~$25

Water lines, fittings, etc $100

Fuel lines $200

Driveshaft $160

Diff flange adapter $65

Poly mounts ~$100

Serpentine & extra pulley ~$40

Battery & alt wiring ~$50

PCM flash $75

Clutch lines $150 (dont ask ...)

Misc crap that adds up $200

So about $6,400. If you were better at parting out like Clive you could significantly reduce the upfront engine cost. Otherwise I dont see how you could do it for any less. I reused as much of the f-body stuff as possible (throttle cable, dipstick, fuel tank, wiring, etc) and did all the work myself including building the mounts, fabbing the exhaust, etc. I also am still using the stock radiator so we'll see how that holds up and have no speedo or fuel gauge yet so this is basic drivable with no frills ... other than the loud pedal!!!"

Cameron

parting out a car, imo, is a huge pain in the ass. dealing with idiots, flakers, craigslist... if i had to do it over again, i'd shell out $4500 for the combo at the local salvage yard, than spend $4700 on a car. I made about 800-1000 in parting it out, but time/effort wasn;t worth it

Parting out is a PITA if you are in a rush or deal with idiots.

I recovered $6400 in 6 months and never sold all the parts. I had a long spread sheet with prices, emailed it to people who wanted parts and handed it to those who came to the house. It was pretty easy but takes time....I had no job at the time (college student then).

A swap if has to be in the 5k-8k range. I did it the long way, so my motor/trans/ecu/fans were all FREE.

NC987 - Where in Washington are you located. I'm in Yakima. My 1977 280Z was the prototype car for the John's Cars kit for the LS1/T56 conversion. That was over five years ago and the car is still running strong with over 30,000 miles on the conversion. If you want to talk or see the car let me know.