HybridZ

cam and pistons l28et

1badeagle

Hey guys. I just picked up a 83 lt28et complete for $50. It has 102k on it. I pulled the valve cover and head off. The pistons same 34 and p90 on them. The cam Has the letter M or W stamped on the end of it.It says E30 on it. I have new gaskets and water pump coming for this motor as we speak. What can you tell me about this cam and pistons? Is it original? Do I need to replace the oil pump and the timing chain as well? If i replace the chain do I need to replace the sprockets as well? Just let me know what you guys think.

Thanks Dustin

wow first of all get on your knees and thank God for such a killer deal. Your (dished) pistons are original, your '83 camshaft is stock (hence the "M" mark) as for timing components chains are soooo reliable with 102K miles you should be totally fine. However if you're paranoid then they're <100$ for a whole timing set. But just check for any play, excessive wear on the tensioner, and sprocket play. When you take off the camshaft sprocket and as you pull the timing wheel off you'll realize that with 102K you're just breaking in the timing wheel :D

Can you take some pics of your cylinders? I just want to see if your hone is still intact.