HybridZ

Another 280ZX CV conversion question

wigenOut-S30

Ok, I got about 90% done with the CV boot replacement. Only problem now is.. a buddy of mine did the cutting on the pressed on peice to get the shafts off. He didnt take note of what stub went with what axle. One of the axles are longer then the other.. AND one stub shaft that goes into the diff is longer then the other.. option 1 Does the short stub shaft go with the short axle? or option 2 does the short stub shaft go with the long axle? with option 1 one CV shaft is about 1 inch longer then the other.. With Option 2 the longer one is only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer.. I really wish I was over there when he was cutting... One other question.. Does the short CV shaft go on the drivers side or the passenger side?

If I remember correctly you can't put them in wrong. The passenger's side would not snap into the drive's side. But I am running a 300zx R200 LSD, I don't know if a stock 280Z or 260Z open diff makes that different.

Oh #^@^#^&$&%%***%&$*(($(%*%& anybody have any idea what will happen if you did it wrong and am going to be running it on a 260z with the mm adapters?

They're going to flame you for not searching, LOL http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=150040

Thanks Dale!! LOL Flame suit on.. Sorry was just in a bit of a panic.. SOO CLOSE TO GETTING HER ON THE ROAD!! lol.. Ok,, just to confirm what I read.. Long axle goes with Long stub.. short axle goes with short stub.. and short completed CV goes on Drivers side.. Long completed CV goes on Passenger side.. whew.. I hope thats right lol...

Well, I got them in.. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!! heh.. On the drivers side I had to unbolt the strut from the top and drop the a arm down.. Finally got it in.. Passenger side was alittle easier but not too much lol. I have a stock sway bar in the back with poly bushings.. it looks like it is going to be in the way..

Oh man, I just got home and found your message on my phone. I almost posted about dropping the A arm to get them in but assumed you already knew that, sorry. I found the driver's side easier than the passenger side. Maybe it depends on which one you do first. Glad you got them in anyway. I was going to drop the struts too until some one told me to drop the A arm instead, it was pretty easy that way. Anyone else doing this make sure you support the diff when you pull the forwrad A arm bolts since they are also the diff mounting bolts.

Well, I got them in.. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!! heh.. On the drivers side I had to unbolt the strut from the top and drop the a arm down.. Finally got it in.. Passenger side was alittle easier but not too much lol. I have a stock sway bar in the back with poly bushings.. it looks like it is going to be in the way..

Oh man, I just got home and found your message on my phone. I almost posted about dropping the A arm to get them in but assumed you already knew that, sorry. I found the driver's side easier than the passenger side. Maybe it depends on which one you do first. Glad you got them in anyway. I was going to drop the struts too until some one told me to drop the A arm instead, it was pretty easy that way. Anyone else doing this make sure you support the diff when you pull the forwrad A arm bolts since they are also the diff mounting bolts.

Yeah its cool Dale, Sorry I missed your call last night. Now for the Sway bar! I did some research and did find some people.. use a stock sway bar and simply use a shorter through bolt and get rid of the spacer on the end links. I think Im going to try that route. So far driving with out a sway bar isnt bad at all. But I wonder how it will be on the autoX.

I'm running without the rear sway bar. Damn thing hit the JTR driveshaft flange when I put the car in reverse. But I am running a V8 too so all that torque can compensate for any understeer I get not having the rear bar. I picked up a rear mount bar but my Camaro fuel tank is too close to the diff to allow that to work either, figures. I did get a bigger front bar and it made a huge difference.

Yeah its cool Dale, Sorry I missed your call last night. Now for the Sway bar! I did some research and did find some people.. use a stock sway bar and simply use a shorter through bolt and get rid of the spacer on the end links. I think Im going to try that route. So far driving with out a sway bar isnt bad at all. But I wonder how it will be on the autoX.