HybridZ

Twin-cam L28 & Crossbred matching

R30hybridz

Hi, am hoping you might be able to help me, am looking at a Merc twin cam head that was manufactured by Mercedes-Benz to fit their 6 cylinder engine that was designed by the Prince Motor Company for Mercedes back in the late fifties(Nissan L series 6 cylinder engines) I think it was used in the sixties and seventies in the 280SL's and is compatable with the Nissan L series 6 cylinder engines, Has anyone else looked into this variation on a theme.

Can anyone shead a bit of light on this for me.:icon6:

I know theres alot of info on this particular subject, a guy on this board is currently going through the labors of installing a merc head from a much later L6 mercedes on his motor now. If you search for merc twin cam head I am sure his progressively updated thread will show up.

Hi, am hoping you might be able to help me, am looking at a Merc twin cam head that was manufactured by Mercedes-Benz to fit their 6 cylinder engine that was designed by the Prince Motor Company for Mercedes back in the late fifties(Nissan L series 6 cylinder engines) I think it was used in the sixties and seventies in the 280SL's and is compatable with the Nissan L series 6 cylinder engines, Has anyone else looked into this variation on a theme.

Can anyone shead a bit of light on this for me.:icon6:

No offence, but I think you need to re-check your data sources. Either you have been fed some complete nonsense, and/or you are completely misunderstanding the normal BS and nonsense that people write about Prince & Nissan engines......

For the record, Prince never designed anything 'for' Mercedes Benz. PMC used some MB-patented valvetrain design details for its G7 engines in the early Sixties, but they were minor details on a majorly Prince in-house design.

The design of Nissan's L-series engines can be traced back to the original L20 six of the H130-series 'Cedric Special Six' model which debuted in July 1965 ( chief design engineer on this engine was Mr Hiroshi Iida ) and it was aimed at answering Toyota's new 6-cyl engine in the Crown model. Iida and his team have acknowledged that they looked at Mercedes Benz engines as reference ( amongst others ) but they didn't 'copy'. If they had, you could be that MB would have sued.

The often-quoted story is that Nissan acquired the design of the 'L-gata' sixes and fours from Prince when Prince was absorbed into Nissan in 1966 ( the almost bankrupt PMC was forced into a 'Kyu Shu Gappei' with NMC by the Japanese trade ministry ), but the truth is that Nissan's 'L-gata' engine was designed, engineered and produced long before the merger. There's a lot of English language 'schmistory' ( much of it originated from Nissan USA's advertising ) that wants to tell us that the L24 of the Datsun 240Z was a development of the 510-series Bluebird's L-series fours, but this totally ignores the real story for the sake of convenience. They must have figured that the USA market didn't need to know about something that they never had offered to them.

Whilst you might find engines that have similar ( if not identical ) bore spacing and head bolt layouts, you won't find any MB heads that are a straight 'bolt-on conversion' for Nissan or Prince engines, or vice-versa.

Hope that helps......

Alan T.

Well, if we're talking about Prince engines, if you can find a Prince G8 or Nissan S20 engine, grab it with both hands and don't let go :P

"G8"?

I think you might mean 'GR8'........

The Nissan S20 is Prince-derived ( from the GR8, no less ) but it is 100% Nissan. I have two of them ( and a half..... ).

"G8"?

I think you might mean 'GR8'........

The Nissan S20 is Prince-derived ( from the GR8, no less ) but it is 100% Nissan. I have two of them ( and a half..... ).

Woops, yup, put it down to posting that at 3 in the morning ;)

I'd ask how much you wanted for one of the S20s, but I've got my own line on one that should be available in a year or two (which is when I'd need it, anyways).