HybridZ

The build of a 240Z by 310z

dude, your car is freaking awesome. all i can say is carbon fiber wheel arches and some offset would perfect that car for me. this car is sick

I like the look of the carbon fiber flairs also but this car was to nice to cut up and to properly fill up the wheel wells with flairs you need to do some cutting. If I build another car it will have the flairs and even wider fat stickies.

I didn't see it in the thread (maybe I just missed it) but where was the resto done? or did you do it yourself?

Well, I would like to say I did it myself and I was planning on building it myself. I have young children, my wife works, and forced overtime by my emploier was keeping me from ever getting more than 30 min. at a time to work on the Z. So I have a good friend that restores 240Z for a living. His passion is 240Z. He worked in Japan restoring race cars for a museum and with some race teams. He is a personal friend of Mr.K and Mr. K's personal secatary. He is a classic wheel freak, and was invited to be a tech inspector at the Montary Historics a few months ago. He is well known and respected to a few and relitavity unknown to most, Steve Pettersen. Steve has a small shop in Chico California were he does almost all the work himself. He farms out stuff like finish body work and paint. Steves shop is called "Pettersen Motorworks" 530-895-3606.

really really nice Z great job, the only thing i differ from you is the interior, I

don´t too much CF for the interior and the pedals they are not all of my taste, but in general an amazing build congratz!.

Thanks!

Where did you find the glass headlight covers ??

They are Datsun/Nissan factory original parts. They are not glass. They are plexiglass. The headlight covers were a Dealer Option. To my knowledge the headlight covers have not been in production for about 25 years. I purchased mine years ago and, yes, they were new when installed on the car with this build.

The last new in the box set that sold on eBay was about three years ago and they went for $850.00. Frequently used headlight covers show up on eBay and sell for about $650.00 to $750.00. and they are typically sold from over seas vendors. Love them or hate them, they remain one of the truly rare parts for a Z.

With the price that people are willing to pay for them, I find it amazing that no one has started remanufacturing them. The plexiglass parts are available although the shape is not true to the originals or the body lines on the car. The metal ring is not available. Hopefully, someone will start making them.

Very nice build! :D

It is me or you have urethane bushings on the TC rod link? I haven't experienced failure myself but I would avoid that based on comments from users ;)

:)Thanks for the coments.

Yes, they are urethane bushings. I have also heard of people having failures with the TC rod link. But there were probally many other failures that occured prior to urethane wearing out metal parts. Such failures could possible be visual inspections on a some what regular basis. Both parts are available and inexpensive.

As I live in snow country, my car gets driven on summer weekends and to shows. The family does not fit in the Z and, the Z would not be as much fun if the family did fit. It is something I will keep an eye on. Thanks again.

Have you had the chance to put together a video/audio of the exhaust?

I finally took the time to become a youtube user. I figured out how to film, make a movie, post to youtube, and give an address to go and find the video. It snowed four inches yesterday and it is cold so the car is remaining in the garage and condensation is visiable from the tail pipe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I got to take the Z to the track in spring 2010. Drove the car to Thunder Hill as a last minute deal (got the OK from my wife the night before). So I just got in the car in the morning and drove. I did not get a chance to put on sticky rubber or anything. The Z was amazing. It handled perfectly. I drove the car as is, I did not remove weight (amplifiers, sub woofers, passenger seat) the tires were Bridgestone G009 a high performance A/S tire. It handled almost flawlessly. When driven at 80% there were no issues. When pushed to 100% I found a limitation with the brakes. At the end of three laps at 100% on the back straight I was out accelerating a Corvette Z06 405 hp version and my brakes faded. No issue occurred but I found out something about the car.

When I purchased the brakes from MSA I asked if the brake pads were a performance pad and I was told yes they are. After this event I called MSA and asked again if the pads are a performance pad (so I would have an idea of what to purchase as an up grade), and I was told no. They are a standard Toyota pad. So I will be up grading the pads. It was great to see how an old Z compared to the modern cars.

I was there by myself so I did not get any action shots but here are some in the paddock.

post-3505-069831000 1295282552_thumb.jpg

post-3505-032328000 1295283158_thumb.jpg

post-3505-071795700 1295283266_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

From the beginning the brakes felt as though there was no initial bite. Then there was the brake fade under track conditions. I wanted to remain with a street pad as that is were the car is driven most of the time. So I did some research and purchased Porterfield's R4-S pads. I went out to seat the pads and instantly noticed the peddle had feeling and there was a feeling of initial bite. Just what I was looking for. I have not had the opportunity to test repeated high speed use but feel sure that they will be more fade resistant than the stock Toyota front pads and Nissan rear pads. I also put on my sticker rubber BFG G-force KD in 225-50-15. The wheels look smaller and not as beautiful as the BBS wheels but I need to ware out the tires. This appears to be a great pad up grade for the Toyota four piston caliper swap and rear disk conversion.

Interesting on the Pads there... Where'd you buy them? With the 225-50-15's have you had any issue with rubbing on a 0 offset wheel? Did You have any with the 16" wheels? I thought you would have had to roll the fenders or go with flares to run 225's especially on a lowered Z.

Interesting on the Pads there... Where'd you buy them? With the 225-50-15's have you had any issue with rubbing on a 0 offset wheel? Did You have any with the 16" wheels? I thought you would have had to roll the fenders or go with flares to run 225's especially on a lowered Z.

The pads were purchased directly from http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

The front lips are rolled and with a BRE spoiler the 225-50-15 would fit in the front. With the 225-50-16 the tires would hit when turning at the lower front valence so I switched to the current air dam. To fit the BBS wheels over the brake calipers I had to grind off a lot of caliper material and add a 3/8 inch spacer. There is no front lip issue. The rear fender wells were massaged very slightly. I thought I had pictures on here but I could not find them, but this is what I did, because attempting to roll the rear lips will deform the finders. I used a hand grinder and ground in a smooth arch removing the material just up to the spot welds at the top of the finder arch. This is approximatly 1/4 inch. There is 1/4 inch of clearance at the lip and at the spring perch on the inside of the wheel. With these modifications I have absolutely no tire rub.