HybridZ

Sell and start fresh, or keep modifying?

240hoke

What Should I do?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What Should I do?

• Keep Modifing!
    • Keep it as is and just enjoy it for a while
    • Sell it and start with a fresh project
    • Sell it and get a car to enjoy until the time is right for a big project

Austin, we have/had the same issues. My first Z had door issues that bothered me all the time. Had to slam the doors 3 to four times to get it to close and pasn side door jam had like 6 spacers, must have been hit before. Lucky for you, your talent level is up there and I def would say buy another shell and do it how you like. When the time is right....swap things over in the order you want to mod then and then sell your shell. I am sure it will sell for decent money as a roller. I can't wait to start my turbo swap on the 70 car because I know I will have something to drive when I don't feel like working on it. This was the first and last summer I didn't have my own Z car on the road.

Anyway question about the pic above.....is that paint missing from the air dam? The picture you are doing some 4x4 with the Z =)

The problem with my current body is the door alignment, they are pretty bad and will required extensive body work / straightening to fix. And would require nothing short of a complete tear down to make right IMO. I was planing on making a post in the body work section to asked some veteran body guys about it. For a daily driver its fine, but it bothers me to no end.
Details? My 240z also has this problem and I was kinda hoping I wasn't gonna need a new chassis :-(. The drivers door is so bad that it barely even latches.

Here's some pics to show what I'm talking about. The passenger side isn't as bad.

Front of the door: http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/rturbo930/71%20Datsun%20240Z/?action=view&current=DSCF3707.jpg

At the back: http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/rturbo930/71%20Datsun%20240Z/?action=view&current=DSCF3708.jpg

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/rturbo930/71%20Datsun%20240Z/?action=view&current=DSCF3710.jpg

No paint missing just a little mud! 4 wheeling wasnt my intention but we had gone to far to turn around (just turning around would have been a task).

My door shut fine but theere is basically the width of a paper between the door and the rear quarter, and the door frame overlaps the quarter window by just a hair. She took a hit on the rear corner at some point I believe.They shut and work fine for a 240z, but nothing like the smoothness of a late 280z.

Rturbo 930 - Looks like just an alignment issue, everything appears straight you maybe ajust/shim the hinge and latch. Ill post pictures in another thread of my doors when I get a chance.

I was faced with a similar quandry a while back and it was your insight that helped me make the decision to keep my motor. :)

Honestly, you will be entering a new chapter of your life in January when you start work with Penske. You will be extremely busy with work and when not working you will have your house upkeep. Additionally, you'll have to work out spending time with a significant other in there and poof! Your spare time just evaporated.

I was going to recommend Clive's suggestion as I am contemplating the same thing. Keep your car and enjoy driving it while you work on a clean shell. Swapping over the parts will be relatively easy once the shell is done. That way, you can enjoy your car while working on perfecting it.

Austin,

Your car is really nice. I saw it some time ago, when we met at the wind tunnel test facility. Since then you have made many improvements and I'm sure it's even nicer today than two years ago. Many gear heads are infected with your obvious perfectionism. I have a dose of it and it drives me crazy at times. A true project car, like yours, is NEVER completed and can always be improved. I could not depart with my car (cars) unless I absolutely had to for financial, reasons, etc. But if circumstances allowe, I will always find another project to undertake. Yes, its important to keep your life in balance, but I'm not sure that one can devote too much energy to something that makes you happy and keeps you out of other, worse traps that can rob your life and times. These are my ramblings to add to your thoughts. You're a smart guy and will make the correct decision.

I am on the other side of the next stage you are talking about. I've had plenty of great cars with lots of time in them just like that. I always had something I wanted to change or improve. Plenty of things I learned along the way that made me want to go back and make something better.

The bottom line is that true car guys are always struggling with constantly changing things, spending more money, elevating their car to jackstand status, etc. However, just as much, many of us find flaws that cannot be changed or other reasons to either start over on a new car of the same type or swap to another platform. I have done the former twice and the latter 9 times. It never changes. You will always have the insatiable hunger for it.

Now I got deeply involved with a woman and ended up selling off 'the cars'; thinking the 'next stage' will be all different. Much like we treat our car choices, we sometimes think we are the same. We think we'll be off cars for the most part and on to something else. It's not true.

I ended up married and buying a house, etc. Now, obviously, I am back into cars just as much but I have other responsibilities as well. You will always be a car guy. You won't always have the time and money to redo a car to the level you have now. At least, not for a long time. I am now stuck with a much slower progress to get my S30 up near the level of my past cars.

Back then I would gladly spend $10~20k on a car (and countless hours) before the car was a year old and then just as gladly part that puppy out and be on to the next in less than a few weeks. I wish I could get back most of those cars...

So, I guess my vote goes for keeping it. I know that many guys have a hard time with 'that perfect car'. They are always struggling towards it but can never reach it (and thus possibly changing cars and losing countless time and money in the process), but bothing really gets to a car guy's 'car zen' more than not having a project.

Sounds to me like you need to park the car for a while under a good car cover. Put it away for about 5-10 months, settle into your new job, house....lifestyle. Shift your personal gears, then come back and reevaluate.

Good advice!

Selling that car would be like selling a child. It's not like you need to get rid of a payment or anything. Keep it, store it, when the time is right, start over on a new chassis. If you still feel the need to sell it then do so. I'm sure you know your car will bring a premium, but you will never get out of it what you put into it.

My .02

chris

I really appreciate all the replies guys, sounds like several of yall have already been in my position and your insight helps alot. I think everyone is right that it is a good Idea to hang on to the car, I'm sure I would regret it. I think I have decided to hang onto her and either repaint, or find another shell to start on slowly.

I spent the day working on a really nice no expense spared 280z yesterday, mostly stock from a suspension standpoint, L28 stroker. We were working on a rough tune, and I got to drive it a little bit. I realised why I had done the modifications to my car that I had done, it is just awesome to drive compared to any other s30 that I have been in. just from a solid sorted feel, and the low end torque of the vq...I hadn't been able to really compare it to a N/A l28 till yesterday.

Thanks again guys for the replies. Im about to go out to hte shop and work on her lol...guess what its on jackstands! Broke a sensor on my offroad expidition. THe crank angle snesor was barely hanging in there:

We finally made it over, keep spinning the wheels, had to get a rolling start to make it. I would have been stuck on the mountain w/o the LSD when i lifted my back wheel on hte next section you could hear the clutches hating life lol.

OPTION NOT GIVEN:

Buy another car, start on it, keep this one and drive it.

"A car is a hole, suspended in mid air by four rubber doughnuts.

Into the hole, you throw money, which will never be returned.

The doughnuts, you cannot eat."

What's done is done, remember the above and just buy another, while enjoying a completed project. When you get tired of driving it, as the other project consumes more resources, then consider selling it. This is not a 'linear proposition' by any means, two lines of development can occur simultaneously. But you're finished with the blue car, right, so just drive it now and enjoy it...

Muahahahaha!

OPTION NOT GIVEN:

Buy another car, start on it, keep this one and drive it.

"A car is a hole, suspended in mid air by four rubber doughnuts.

Into the hole, you throw money, which will never be returned.

The doughnuts, you cannot eat."

What's done is done, remember the above and just buy another, while enjoying a completed project. When you get tired of driving it, as the other project consumes more resources, then consider selling it. This is not a 'linear proposition' by any means, two lines of development can occur simultaneously. But you're finished with the blue car, right, so just drive it now and enjoy it...

Muahahahaha!

And if some one offers to buy it for what you have in to it, sell it then. Why take it in the shorts to sell it?