HybridZ

na l28 what setup

curt76280

Hello I have been searching this forum and have to say that I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge on Z cars. I am a newbie to the Z car scene and and was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions. I have a 76 280 z currently still a 4 speed,stock efi, with a stock r200 3.54 gear,I just bought a 83 280zx r200 3.90 to install and I am looking to buy a 5 speed either from a 280zx or possibly a 720 pickup . The car came with a few extra parts that i have been thinking of using in a engine build, a Bob Sharp 4barrel intake manifold with no carb,a Delta cams 272 reground camshaft with matching rockers and a pacesetter square port 6 to 1 header. I am intending on driving this Z but obviously it will not be my daily driver. My question is this ,with the parts mentioned above, and a rebuild with flat top pistons ,headwork on the N42,a Holley 390 cfm carb will this be a fairly decent setup ,not looking for a 12 second car but would like to make at least 200 to 250 h.p. and not loose too much street driveability.Also I am in the Charlotte N.C. area and would like to meet any local members.Thanks in advance, Curt

You won't loose any streetability with a turbo setup, and you'll make much more power than the L6 will ever see N/A for the same amount of $$$

Welcome to Hybrid Z, please clean up your posts. That non-punctuated or spaced paragraph was hurting my eyes.

I dont think youll see over 200 to the wheels with aforementioned mods, but with your 4 speed and that 3.90 rear, it will be a fun zippy car.

What flatblackz meant was instead of doing all that work you could retrofit a zx turbo setup on your motor and be even faster, also you'd probably be on the road quicker than all that machining.

Use the search button at the top and try to find a list of all the datsun transmissions and thier gear ratios. If i remember correctly the 260 has the most aggressive gearing and coupled with the 3.90 and a 26" or smaller tire you'll have plenty of fun with your z. Believe me, its never enough, and after enough reading and watching videos and getting to know more z guys, you'll want more.

Welcome to the club, congrats on your first Z.

How much do you honestly think that cam install and Holley 390 and a rebuild is going to run you?

You asked about streetability and "what setup," I'm gonna go with a turbo and EFI > a cammed Carb'd car, and you never mentioned that price was an issue.

Go do some searching.

Thanks datsphilly,I would love to do a turbo swap or a stand alone efi setup with a hotter cam in the future. But for now I was going to keep it simple,I have access to the machine shop where i used to work for 15 years rebuilding cylinder heads and engines and the only cost would be parts and my time.

My question is this ,with the parts mentioned above, and a rebuild with flat top pistons ,headwork on the N42,a Holley 390 cfm carb will this be a fairly decent setup ,not looking for a 12 second car but would like to make at least 200 to 250 h.p. and not loose too much street driveability.Also I am in the Charlotte N.C. area and would like to meet any local members.

1. define "decent" - you can make 200-250hp reasonably but will require good quality(expensive) head work. You will not be able to exceed this significantly without exponentially increasing your budget per HP increase. Ie: you will hit the roof quickly and have to go turbo if you end up wanting more.

2. my understanding of prices in the US is you can buy a l28et for less than or approximately the price of a rebuild.

3.Usually a question is proceeded by a question-mark.

-welcome to hybridz

pete