HybridZ

rb26 engine management options

stony

Ok kinda getting in the market for an engine management system. I have read up on several different systems but want to get some inputs from others.

I want something that will plug directly into the rb26 stock engine harness and control everything and have inputs for nitrous, control boost ect ect.

also needs to datalog.

anyone have any suggestions. I Also want to use all the stock sensors but don't want air Flow meters.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

• Administrators

I want something that will plug directly into the rb26 stock engine harness and control everything and have inputs for nitrous, control boost ect ect.

Wolf3D can fill that bill.

also needs to datalog.

Technically, Wolf datalogs. However, I'm not crazy about it. A bit clunky in my opinion. To Wolf's credit, it's *always* logging... you capture data 30 seconds before you hit "record".

Hey Stony,

You might be interested in something like Nistune or running a chipped / Reflashed ECU. This is the route I am going, if you have a competent tuner in your area thats the big thing. With most of the chipped systems you get pretty much full control over your engine, some are tunable on the fly and some need to be tuned and reflashed. Any how I think if its for a street car, this is the way to go without spending big bucks and having really good driveablity as you have all the oem drivability at idle etc... Also I think there is an option to switch out the MAF's for a MAP too.

The tuner around here is running something in the ballpark for 500 hp on a fairly stock rb25det and I saw a NA-T Rb20 budget build pushing 220 hp at the wheels on stock injectors !!

So definatly potential there ...

If its for your race car Vipec might be worth a look, they have PnP systems and are really bad ass apparently. For 2K+ they better be though when its all said and done....

Keep us posted with what you choose !

*Edit*

Just re-read your post....

sounds like a standalone would be better suited .... though I think nistune can run some additional outputs ...

Wolf3D can fill that bill.

Do they still have the memory chip??? you can have several differnt tunes by just pulling out one card and plugging in another.

Wold 3d is one of the one at the top of my list.

• Administrators
Do they still have the memory chip??? you can have several differnt tunes by just pulling out one card and plugging in another.

That ended with V4. V500 has two switchable mapping systems, built in.

I might know where there is a well cared for V4+ system for sale, and the 'cards' are still available. Want me to check on it?

• Administrators
Hey does the v500 actually control boost. As in i don't need a boost controller?

Yes, open loop.

ok whats the difference between the Wolf V500 Plugin Kit and the Wolf V4X Plugin Kit.

besides 500 bux. Is it just the older vs the newer?

V4X is a newer release, odd as it sounds. It will run a 6 or 8 in a 'wasted' configuration, but it specifically target's the 4cyl market.

Edited by RTz

I am also running the AEM EMS, its a pretty nice (yet kinda pricy) complete plug and play system, it has pretty good data logging and just about every feature you could want. I haven't had any issues with mine at all, everything just "worked" after loading the basemap. I originally started with the MAFs and then went MAP/Speed Density, I will be using a GM Boost Solinoid to have the EMS control boost shorty (currently a manual is in charge of that). I also have it setup to control the radiator fan which is kinda nice :) There are also nice safety features such as knock control and o2 feedback adjustments, it also has a neat autotune feature if you have a wideband however a dyno tune is always recommended.

One of the other things I will be doing with the EMS shortly is wiring in the "Boost Safe" output from the AEM Water/Meth injection kit I am running so if there is any error with the meth system it will retard the timing and/or open the wastegate all the way so it won't build boost.

I also think it is pretty easy to tune myself, a few hours on the dyno netted 467.11 whp on 91 octane w/ 50/50 meth mix at 6500rpm (anything above 6 the dyno lost rpm signal :() with a GT3582 HTA T4 and "low" boost of 24psi on a stock internals RB26.

I know a lot of friends prefer the cost and DIY factor of a megasquirt + a extension harness to make it PnP or just going to a Motec.

Is this going on your race car or do you have another RB project in the works?

I will be using a GM Boost Solinoid to have the EMS control boost shorty (currently a manual is in charge of that).?

I had the gm boost solenoid but now I have the 35 series mac valve. I would recommend the mac valve for a number of reasons. The mac valve is cheaper and you don't need to buy a connector, just splice it. You can use barb fittings with the mac valve, the fitings on the gm solenoid are a lot smaller and are not barbed. Also a lot of other EBC makers use the same mac valve in their kits, including aem.

sorry for going ot ;)

I had the gm boost solenoid but now I have the 35 series mac valve. I would recommend the mac valve for a number of reasons. The mac valve is cheaper and you don't need to buy a connector, just splice it. You can use barb fittings with the mac valve, the fitings on the gm solenoid are a lot smaller and are not barbed. Also a lot of other EBC makers use the same mac valve in their kits, including aem.

sorry for going ot ;)

Already have the GM solinoid/Pigtail.. which was about $35 for both when I got it some time ago, mine has a small bump on the fittings to keep the hose on, but yeah if I didn't already have the GM solinoid I would have picked up one of the other solinoids, apparently they have boxes of them at my Dad's work. I tried using the original Skyline solinoid at first but could never build more than 1bar of boost :(

You dont have to use a universal solenoid like the GM to get it to work. If you can find someone selling a solenoid off a greddy, AVC-R, etc they will work.

My greddy profec S will not make more than 26psi, however I installed a manual BC and Im at 30psi right now. I have triple checked the EBC was hooked up correctly. I believe it is the MAP sensor built into the EBC thats my limitation. I plan on just hooking the solenoid up from the EBC, directly to the AEM.

FWIW, I enjoy my AEM EMS also. I had some issues with it when it was exposed in the engine bay, but after moving it back into the cabin, it seems alot more happy. I have controlled my nitrous system with it, and I am constantly changing the 2-step at the drag strip, as well as making logs.

The Aem Log software is incredibly easy to use and useful

Is this going on your race car or do you have another RB project in the works?

I'm selling the black car (racecar) and installing everything back in the red car like it was supposed to be from the beginning. the Vpro i currently have is tuned pretty well i just want to be able to do fine tunings at the track for different conditions. Plus i think there is still a lot left in the mid range.

WIth what i have learned from assisting in the tuning of the Vpro if i can datalog all the required inputs my car is pretty much a rolling dyno at the track. make a run look at the log and make adjustments.

thanks for all the inputs keep them coming

also needs to datalog.

LinkECU make RB Plug n Play units, pull the RB computer, plug in the Link using the freed stock plug and then plug your laptop into the Link ECU. as simple as that.