HybridZ

plastic fuel cell installation ?'s

CantZme

i have a fuel cell, model #Summit SUM-290104. you can see it at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290104/?image=large i had someone install the cell into my 260 a long while back, but I'm changing some body parts and the car is still not driveable. the cell is mounted with the bulkhead fittings and fuel lines visible from the rear of the car and the cell hangs below the rollpan, it is mounted witht the straps sold by summit. I was wondering if I could mount the cell the other way around so that the fittings are not visible and so that the fuel lines cannot be tampered with. Is there any reason as far as functionality that this cannot be done? anyone with experience please chime in.

the fuel cell is below the trunk floor and the oem trunk floor is still intact i would guess?those plastic fuel cells arent legal for any sanctioning bodies of racing-they are just cheap replacements for oem gas tank.ther guys that install a real fuel cell-metalcan + rubber bladder-usually cut out the trunk floor and sink them into the trunk.i wouldnt go through the effort to mount that thing myself.

a real fuel cell, consists of a metal box around a plastic box with a bladder inside, it would need to have a ground strap, vent line and pickup line up top, plus you need the roll over valves/flaps. and a cage welded to the frame rails. this is of course if you wanted to be able to track day with a sanctioning body.

the car will be a daily driver now as i have changed the purpose of the vehicle; so the cell will just be used as a gas tank. the spare tire well was cut out of the trunk to install the cell originally so now there is a hole in the trunk. if space permits, can I mount the cell backwards so that the bulkhead fittings are facing the differential?

then you would have fuel starvation under heavy accel or steep hills, could you find a tank with the pickup and vent at the top of the cell? you could score a used cell with the metal box and the lines on top for next to nothing if you ask around.

isn't a fuel cell made to solve fuel starvation issues? isn't venting the cell supposed to make it easier for the pump can siphon gas from the cell? I understand your point on fuel starvation on a steep hill; however, that is assuming a steep incline, what about a steep decline fuel issue in the state that the cell is now(bulkhead facing out) ? If I can, I would like to just keep this cell and mount it backwards so it looks like a gas tank, I am running out of funds, for now I have posted an ad for a new cell to weigh my options.

isn't a fuel cell made to solve fuel starvation issues? isn't venting the cell supposed to make it easier for the pump can siphon gas from the cell? I understand your point on fuel starvation on a steep hill; however, that is assuming a steep incline, what about a steep decline fuel issue in the state that the cell is now(bulkhead facing out) ? If I can, I would like to just keep this cell and mount it backwards so it looks like a gas tank, I am running out of funds, for now I have posted an ad for a new cell to weigh my options.

You can roll DOWN a steep decline without an engine running. You can't roll UP a steep incline. Either way it is more of an issue of when you accelerate forward the gas sloshes to the back of the tank, If the fittings face forward and you are at 1/4 tank(maybe more) or less, you are likely to have starvation issues. If you mount it with the fittings towards the differential just be aware that you may experience fuel starvation while accelerating when your tank is low

The cell you have will work fine for daily driver status. I have a similar cell with the fittings hanging down below the valance and while it is not ideal it does the job for now and while the Z isn't my sole mode of transportation, I have put over 8000 miles on it in the past year. I fully plan to install a cell with a bladder and what not but its not in the cards at this moment.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this one. Why would you want to put a fuel cell in a Z. Is it used to create hydrogen gas for the car to run off of? I'm just curious to know that's all.

edit: Sorry wrong fuel cell. For a second there I thought you were trying to convert your car into a hybrid of some sort. Thanks for the info.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this one. Why would you want to put a fuel cell in a Z. Is it used to create hydrogen gas for the car to run off of? I'm just curious to know that's all.

Fuel cell (in this instance) is really just a fancy way of saying fuel tank. The "cells" we are talking about simply replace the stock fuel tank with a a tank of a different shape than the stock one. We are not talking about hydrogen fuel cell technology.

Fuel cells vary in size and application.