HybridZ

Help! Doors are not locking.

motoman

So when i have my doors open they will not lock. But as soon as they are closed they lock no problem at all. Is this something that has happend to a lot of people. Was the z built this way or what? I wouldn't think so.

If anyone has ever had this problem and overcame it please tell me what you did.

Motoman

It won't lock when they're OPEN? Well, first, I'm not surprised. My mom's Jetta won't lock when open. Second, why are you trying to lock them when open? Great way to accidentally lock yourself out of your car.

None of my Z's have working locks though, so I can't confirm if this is how they work or not.

It won't lock when they're OPEN? Well, first, I'm not surprised. My mom's Jetta won't lock when open. Second, why are you trying to lock them when open? Great way to accidentally lock yourself out of your car.

None of my Z's have working locks though, so I can't confirm if this is how they work or not.

when you close the door if it was locked it will just unlock unless you hold the handle up while shutting it.:)

Ive Never had this problem before, maybe try spraying a bunch of Wd-40 on it. Or just lock it once you close it from now on.

My understanding is that the pre '77 cars are that way. You have to lock them from inside once the door is closed (typically the passenger door), or lock with the key from outside. The '77-78 cars have a different mechanism and latch that allow you to lock the door, then close it while holding the outside handle up to lock it. The '78 I had worked that way, and my son's '74 has to be locked with the key from outside.

My understanding is that the pre '77 cars are that way. You have to lock them from inside once the door is closed (typically the passenger door), or lock with the key from outside. The '77-78 cars have a different mechanism and latch that allow you to lock the door, then close it while holding the outside handle up to lock it. The '78 I had worked that way, and my son's '74 has to be locked with the key from outside.

Exactly what I was told and shown as well from my friend...I thought my door locks were broken too when I first bought the car because I couldn't lock them when they're open. Found out that the factory set them up like that...So, our doors aren't broken it's just the way they were designed. We're spoiled from newer cars with power everything and locks. :mrgreen: