HybridZ

Can i use my trany?

vega

I have a 78' 280z 5 speed l28e car. Ive been looking into swapping in the l28et engine from the zx i just have a few quick qs.

1. is there a better block year of the et motor? 80? 81? 82? 83?

2. the more important thing i can i use the trans i already have in the car? is goign to be strong enough to hold to the kind of power? i do plan on build up the l28et to a 3.1 stroker a large fmic and probably a gt35r turbo. also if it cant hold to the power and can still hook up to the l28et can it be buitl to hold to the power? any place i should be looking at for better stronger parts for the motor? apparently i dont haev a bw its a nissan trans btw- all stock all orginal car.... for now ;)

Depends on how you drive it... the 5 speed will bolt up, but if you have a fully built engine like what your talking. Any type of hard driving would blow it in no time...

look into the z32 300zx trans swap

or the ka24 trans swap

those are the two strongest setups... 300zx setup being stronger than the ka.

i did a search and the only thing that even comes close to matching to that is this one link and it was a failure. so what are the zx turbo guys using eh?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100255&highlight=z32+300zx+trans+swap

the other links were guys doing v8 swaps in there z32 or using a z32tt trans to an rb series motor.

2004?

Hummm.

Just upgrade clutch and fly to 240mm turbo size.

The tranny will be fine on a stocker for some time. Even more if the tranny is in good shape.

Blocks are the same.

im going to build the l28et.

im going to put ALOT of money into the head full port pollish over size valves new cam etc. run a gt35r turbo http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT35/GT3582R_714568_3.htm and im going to have it fully balanced. im also going to atempt the z31 ecu swap and tune it with nistune on a dyno (street first of course). so this IS going to be making a decent amount of power hopefully around 400 whp thats the goal at least.

oh lol i took a picture up at maxi's (a steel place up in mn if you did nto know) and with me in the car full interior everything stock and a shat ton of tools and some extra close including a very heavy leather jacket the car weighed in at 2860lbs i will weigh it soon with me out and nothing else in the car- it was late at night and i did nto want to get pulled over by a copperroo.

oh btw what did you mean by "2004?" ?

You need to find the search key. And you need to start reading the other threads. It's obvious you have the time, since you've been posting about an hour or so apart.

the KA trans swap is not hard. It can hold the power, DEPENDING ON HOW YOU DRIVE. the Z32 trans swap WILL hold the power, and there are multiple threads here on the subject, including a complete installation thread.

BOTH transmission swaps will cost you money, and depending on how good you are with a milling machine or large lathe, will cost you a lot of money. Be ready to spend 300$ on the KA swap, and 500$ on the Z32 swap.

im going to put ALOT of money into the head full port pollish over size valves new cam etc. run a gt35r turbo http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT35/GT3582R_714568_3.htm and im going to have it fully balanced. im also going to atempt the z31 ecu swap and tune it with nistune on a dyno (street first of course). so this IS going to be making a decent amount of power hopefully around 400 whp thats the goal at least.

You're going to do a full rebuild, headwork, GT35R, and you're going to run a hacked Z31 ECU?

Why, might I ask?

nistune. ive seen it now and like it quite a bit.

any better suggestions? im not a fan of mega squirt for one. and i have not gotten a chance to tear into the stock ecu to see if its eprom if it is i may be able to just use the ostrich.

nistune. ive seen it now and like it quite a bit.

any better suggestions? im not a fan of mega squirt for one. and i have not gotten a chance to tear into the stock ecu to see if its eprom if it is i may be able to just use the ostrich.

Go check out the Engine components forum in that link Rossman posted.

MegaSquirt isn't for everybody, you have to know alot about it and there are some glitches, and it's not the only Stand Alone out there that people are using. I've heard really good things about Haltech and Wolf.

I just don't like the idea of hacking up a 20+ year old wiring harness and using an ECU from the earlier days of EFI.