HybridZ

LT1 280Z Alternator Question

I am NEW here!

I have searched and searched the HybridZ site and have not found a clear solution for locating an alternator on a LT1 when not using AC or Power Steering. I would rather not use all the bypass pulleys and have the alternator up high (unless absolutely necessary...).

I was hoping to mount the alternator low and bought the very bracket other HybridZ members here have said does not work. They are absolutely right! I found this out after I had painted mine all up nicely and now it is not returnable. I wish I had found this site earlier!

It seems experience says that the Corvette mounting hardware is the way to go. I already am using the Corvette balancer. Does the Corvette mounting hardware move the alternator up high again? I have not seen a diagram yet of this setup. This is likely because I have not looked for one.

So the question is, what year Vette are the parts from? Or are there other solutions? A pic or two of one installed would be great to see. Does anyone here have one (or more) they could post?

I wanted to post a pic of my progress, but I need to downsize the pics.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give...

Eric

The frame rail isn't the only problem with running it low, you also have the engine mount tower in the way. This is why the bracket in question doesn't work as it's designed.

One thing I contemplated trying is spacing that bracket out from the block far enough so the alternator was in front of the mount tower, then you need to use like a 4 or 5 inch spacer between the harmonic balancer and the hub. I didn't like the thought of that so scrapped the idea but had a conversation with another member here (can't remember who) that had set his up that way. He said his car was strictly a drag car so he wasn't worried about long term reliability of the bracket or the spacer.

Anyway, the bottom line is there aren't a lot of options when trying to mount the alternator low and use the JTR engine mount system. You could look at the March accessory brackets but be ready to shell out some serious money.

Another option might be to cut the mount towers off the Datsun cross member, fab up another cross member for the engine mounts and then notch the frame rail if needed to clear the alternator when using that bracket. Not sure it would work as the Datsun crossmember may still get in the way but it's something to look into.

BTW: Even the Corvette accessory setup places the alternator up high but on the driver's side rather than the passenger.

Here's a link to a page that shows all 3 stock accessory setups you'll find on LT1s.

http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LT1.html

Scroll about half way down the page.

Hope this helps.

I just fininished my LT1 installation.....I struggled with the same dilema...alternator mounting. After a bunch of research I opted to keep the LT1 bracketry. My LT1 is converted to rochester carburator. I had purchase an A/c delete pulley that rested on the right frame rail. I then fabricated my own. I used a power steering delete pulley, I have the manufacturer at work but I found it thru this site. good luck

The link on hybridZ for that PS delete is http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=134479&highlight=power+steering+delete It comes from http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pk1500lt1f-complete-lt1-fbody-high-performance-pump-kit-p-678.html and the part number is BK-MB31K. Pne thing to note about this: I had to re-tap the bottom hole in the Camaro accessory bracket to match the 3/8 bolt PSC provided. Of course you should be able to find a metric bolt that would work.

• 5 weeks later...
I just fininished my LT1 installation.....I struggled with the same dilema...alternator mounting. After a bunch of research I opted to keep the LT1 bracketry. My LT1 is converted to rochester carburator. I had purchase an A/c delete pulley that rested on the right frame rail. I then fabricated my own. I used a power steering delete pulley, I have the manufacturer at work but I found it thru this site. good luck

Did you use the GM Performance parts A/C Delete pulley? I was going to order one and just don't know whether it will hit the frame rail.

Thanks!

Eric

I bought my AC delete pulley off Ebay. It sits ion the front of the stock F-body accessory bracket no where near the frame.

Did you use the GM Performance parts A/C Delete pulley? I was going to order one and just don't know whether it will hit the frame rail.

Thanks!

Eric