HybridZ

Going Turbo

JakeDM

I have a project 75 280z with MT. I want to go l28et. I HAVE searched, but I still have a few questions.

I'm buyin a rebuilt motor from somebody, but I dont know the year of it. For a l28et, does it have to be from a Zx?

Also, is there any wat to tune the stock ecu, or do I have to find a z31 turbo ECU? Other than ecu will I beed any other engine management systems?

Any help will be appreciated.

you can "FOOL" the air flow meter to run a little bigger injector. the block should say F54 and have a knock sensor threaded hole just up and to the left of the oil pressure sending unit. the head should say P90 or P90A. These are some of the ways to tell if its a turbo motor.

Ok so it has to be a F54 block? If the motor is from a 75-78 z I shouldnt buy it for reasons like theres no knock sensor? If it is a F54 block and dosent have a p90 head, should I still stay away from it? Thanks for the help, I think I got all I need now.

If the motor is from a 75-78 z I shouldnt buy it for reasons like theres no knock sensor?

They carried the N42 over into the 79 cars, and possibly the 80 cars. I'm not sure about 1980 cars, but it's stamped obviously on the block. So it should be "75-80 Z."

If it is a F54 block and doesn't have a p90 head, should I still stay away from it? Thanks for the help, I think I got all I need now.

F54/P79 - N/A 280ZX Motor 1981-1983 [Flat Top Pistons] 8.5:1 SCR

F54/P90 - Turbo 280ZX Motor 1981-1983 [Dished Pistons] 7.4:1 SCR

Unless they've switched blocks and or pistons of course. The N/A F54 block has a 'knub' where the knock sensor goes on the L28ET but it's not tapped.

Here's a picture of an N/A F54, that untapped circle is right under the charred SS line [right up and left of the oil filter]:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/TERBEAUX/DSC02943.jpg?t=1255114048

The engine # stamp is right under that charred sensor sticking out of the head in that picture. I'm pretty sure it says "L28" on the N/A, I couldn't tell you if would say L28ET on the Turbo blocks. I've never looked at the stamp on my L28ET.

If you're worried about the pistons, get a flashlight and look in a spark plug hole when the piston is at the top, you'll be able to see if it's a flat top or dished.

Ok so it has to be a F54 block?

No. I'm running a N/A F54/P79 block with a turbo swap, you can do it with any L28 really, but I wouldn't do it on stock electronics.

The only difference in the early L28 Pistons and the L28ET pistons are a thicker ring land on the turbo pistons. Both have a 10cc dish.

Read this if you are interested in doing the N/A to Turbo swap on an L28:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=153195

So if the motor im buying is from a s30, its still usable for a turbo set-up. I just need either a Zxt oil pan, or make a fitting on the stock pan. All the neccessary sensors, injectors, and megasquirt to control the fuel delivery. Obivously there will modifications to the harness.