HybridZ

Power Transistor Nonsense

Zerocell5688

Excuse the noobishness with the Z31's but i think i've narrowed down my problem with mine to the power transistor, is there anyway this thing can be bypassed or what is it can i make my own? i don't wanna pay $160 for the replacement transistor so i 'm looking for the work arounds any one know of any?

~J

go to radio shack and see if they have one in the same can size (ie looks the same) probably npn (I forget which but think not pnp) it will probably work. For the type service the ignition transistor most any transistor will work that can handle the amps. Or hit the junkyards. Any power transistor from any jap car will probably work as long as you get the right pins for emiter and collector. Base is most likely the can itself.

go to radio shack and see if they have one in the same can size (ie looks the same) probably npn (I forget which but think not pnp) it will probably work. For the type service the ignition transistor most any transistor will work that can handle the amps. Or hit the junkyards. Any power transistor from any jap car will probably work as long as you get the right pins for emiter and collector. Base is most likely the can itself.

So probably anyone from a VG30E would work effectively? Whats its purpose? can it be bypassed at all or is it required for a specific purpose? i mean of course its needed in someway otherwise it wouldn't be on the motor but i'm curious if anyone has bypassed it or knows what its purpose is in the scheme of things

~J

the transistor takes the place of the points in older cars. It makes and breaks the current flow to the coil. The collapsing magnetic field due to the current being cut off is what causes the secondary of the coil to generate a high voltage that makes the spark. An ignition coil is simply a special purpose transformer and the transistor provides a square wave input to the primary that translates to a square wave output from the secondary. do a search on the web for how a transistor works and you will find some good simple explanations that don't get into field effects across the boundary and other things that explain the physics of the device. It can be thought of as two diodes placed head to head and when the junction is biased current flows.

the transistor takes the place of the points in older cars. It makes and breaks the current flow to the coil. The collapsing magnetic field due to the current being cut off is what causes the secondary of the coil to generate a high voltage that makes the spark. An ignition coil is simply a special purpose transformer and the transistor provides a square wave input to the primary that translates to a square wave output from the secondary. do a search on the web for how a transistor works and you will find some good simple explanations that don't get into field effects across the boundary and other things that explain the physics of the device. It can be thought of as two diodes placed head to head and when the junction is biased current flows.

Wow! Roger Thank you very much! This is the most clear and concise explanation of what the power transistor is and whats its purpose is. its the Equivalent of the POINTS!!! Genius.. Well than i'll just have to got get another one thank you very much roger. i'll let you know if it works (it will no doubt it will, i just gotta get a new one now:D) and than i'll than 2/2 Z's functional for once.

~J

• 1 month later...
You can take one from most any car that ran a vg30e up to a 2002 nissan quest.

At a u-pull yard, it's usually under 30 bucks for transistor and coil and a lot less for transistor itself if you get the right cashier.

yea i need to get back to a yard to go find some more but all of them i find are junk. My neighbor was talking to me about swaping the dizzy out for a Mallory unilite/MSD type aftermarket setup with the coil control box and disconnnecting the the stock ignition stuff. I'm wondering if i can just use one of those coil set ups to by-pass the stock setup with the stupid power transistor? I broke one open and its a little PC board inside and something tells me its not very sturdy in general so yea. What about DIS? Does anyone have any experience with DIS on a VG30DE Engine? I hit up search but no one loves the Z31 on this site really. Anyways thanks everyone peace!

~J