HybridZ

anyone get their motor from tiger auto parts?

Negligence

they have very good engine and tranny prices with good shipping quotes as well. i called them and they said all their motors are 30 day warranted etc, was wondering if anyone has ordered and used any of their sr20det motors?

http://www.tigerjapanese.com

if not there, what are some other good places to find sr20 motors in good condition for under 2 grand with transmission

thanks guys!

From what I've heard Tiger Japanese has a pretty good rep, a couple guys I know got their motors there and have had good luck with them. My brother and I got our Rb25 from another place... TotalJDM which I would recommend, they replaced a couple sensors and an injector which was damaged in shipping with no hassle at all. Theyre also located in Toronto, same as Tiger Japanese

Cheers

Rob

I've always wanted 2 buy there

please take the fraction of a second to type out a real word instead of using numbers :icon56:

5. This site is based in the USA, and as such, text is to be written in English. There are web sites available on the web that can translate text from many recognized official languages to English, if you don't know it. (But then how could you read this? ) Gangster-slang, or any other cute, obtuse, street-talk dialects are not tolerated. Write in clear English that does not require a current knowledge of the latest street-slang. Text message or IM shorthand does not qualify as English.[/b'] Always try to use proper punctuation, spelling AND capitalization.

Jesus Christ. I know that its a rule about grammar and spelling. I know why its there. But was it really worth typing out an entire sentence criticizing the way he wrote something when you knew damn well exactly the message he was trying to convey? What about people typing on cell phones, that makes full sentences difficult sometimes. I'm not trying to start a fight, make enemies, or upset anyone. I've found alot of great info on this site, and it was easier due to the generally good grammar thats used here. I just find it disturbing how big a deal people make it.

Tiger japanese has been good to many people I know. Mostly Honda b series stuff, but also some KA's and 2J's as well.

We ALL agreed to the rules....... Some times we need a refresher to what was agreed too, click here. No one is perfect and we don't expect it.

I have looked Tiger Japanese over and have not seen a bad reputation. I would try and deal more local to where you live in case there is a problem.

If you want to learn more about cars and dont need your car to get you to work every day, I would suggest buying a 4 leg engine stand the book on modifying the L-series, a haynes/chilton or fSM. And build it up yourself while learning along the way! theirs more then a few qualified L series guru's on this board that would be willing to help should you become stuck or have a question.

If you want to learn more about cars and dont need your car to get you to work every day, I would suggest buying a 4 leg engine stand the book on modifying the L-series, a haynes/chilton or fSM. And build it up yourself while learning along the way! theirs more then a few qualified L series guru's on this board that would be willing to help should you become stuck or have a question.

The Z i am getting is a rolling chassis, but yea, my gf is buying me a engine stand for christmas (isnt she the best :) haha ) and i want to clean, and build up (bolt ons) a sr20 motor that i should be getting by end of december, its my xmas gift to myself :)

• 10 months later...

I would consider any "low mileage JDM pullout" motor a rebuildable core, they usually arent sealed, sit in damp warehouses, are thrown around and tossed in massive piles during shipping and are most likely abused junkyard pull outs.

You pretty much summed up TigerJap. I live in Kitchener (1 hour from TigerJapanese warehouse), and have gone there to pick up an engine for a friend. He needed a KL-ZE motor for a Probe GT swap, and when I got there I was told I had to buy a motor before I was allowed to go pick one out. Finally said OK because they apparently had >50 in stock...

I went into the warehouse and there were mountains of engines. Honda B18's in one corner stacked 6 high with a piece of 1/4" hardboard between each layer. I asked the warehouse manager where the KLZE's are and he yelled at me in asian until one of the workers came over. I asked again where the KLZE's were and he pointed to back corner where there was another mountain stacked 3 high, 12 deep, 12 wide. I did a quick check of the first dozen "KLZE"'s and they were hybrid motors with proper blocks & usdm heads, usdm blocks and jdm heads, one usdm head one jdm, wrong intake manifolds etc etc.

They wouldn't allow me to take off any valve covers to check camshaft p/n's, as well as condition of head. They said I could only open the oil filler cap, which clearly had been pressure washed through the filler hole, with reddish sludge everywhere else in the head. I searched for 3.5 hours before I found a motor I was remotely happy with, with all part codes matching proper jdm motor. As I was there for that long I saw them hit motors with the forklifts, push them around on their oilpans, pick the motors up via intake mani's, turbo mani's etc. One guy dropped a front cut S13 180sx on the cut section from about 10 feet up. Their "compression testing" was an old guy spinning the flywheel by hand (breaker bar), with no oil in motor, saying whether the motor was good or not based on the compression sounds it made during rotation :blink:..

The icing on the top was when he was dropping it into my truck, I noticed the disty cap was smashed by his forklift chain, and there was no oil dipstick, and he said as soon it was in my truck it was not his problem. Got home and did a compression test of my own and cyl 3 and 5 were 110 psi (the rest were 205#). Head gasket bad, distributor was blown and looked like the original spark plugs from a 1998-2001 motor :huh:.

I will never buy Tiger Japanese, ever. I'll ship a motor from Texas up here before driving the hour over to those dummies. This being said, I'm sure guys have had good luck with motors, I'm just sharing my experience.

Just a heads up to the HybridZ guys.

It's a crap-shoot for an SR20DET from Canada.... If you can buy a clip locally, DO IT. Spend the extra money to take a look at the engine at least.

I haven't found a cheap online vendor which doesn't have at least a few critiques or bad experiences... especially the toronto group of shops who go by all kinds of names. Seems like with all the 240sx guys out there doing swaps with DETs, there has to be a shop at least somewhere near at worst a couple hours from you that can get a clip or has a local tie to you that can give you a better chance at a good experience and better warranty or fixing hopes...

(be aware that all of their "Warranties" necessitate install by a certified mechanic at a certified shop and within 30 days of receipt, you must have it installed, running, and troubleshooted)

From personal experience and if you want to clean it, do all the seals, install, and troubleshoot all those little things, 30 days is a very short period of time to make it happen

To pay for that, you might as well pay more for an engine locally and do it yourself and take your time, any good shop locally generally will at least work with you if you face a fatal engine issue I'd hope. I'm quite sure you'd have a better experience than trying to work it out over the phone or email with some dude in Canada.

If all else fails though - They're just engines, in the worst case scenario, you get to put new fun pieces in and learn a ton about your engine while doing it. if you're committed to SR20s anyways, you might as well learn internals so you can hit big power someday.

Edited by TheMission

I purchase a 4age from tigerjapanese about 12 years ago. There service was ok but the engine was good. I went back to tigerjapanese in 2007 to purchase my sr20det. The staff were too lazy to move the s13 engines out of the way so that I could look at an s14 engine. They asked me to come back another day. I live an hour away and did not want to go home empty handed. I then went to torontojdm and looked at their selection. Prices were very similar. Service was much better. The first engine we looked at had very bad compression in one of the cyclinders. So I end up having to buying an s13 blacktop. When I took the engine home I realized the ignitor chip was damaged. I went back a week later and they replaced it free of charge.