HybridZ

vg30 Valve springs in an L series head?

Datsun260Z

Howdy gang. Hope everyone is having a nice Monday.

Has anyone here ever used vg30 springs in an L series head? I've not yet match the springs diameter however the info I have found so far tells me that teh vg30 outside spring is 048" longer (2.016) then the stock L series spring (1.968). The inside spring on the vg30 is .030" shorter at 1.736". The L series being 1.766.

My big concern is the length of the outside spring, could .048 be too much for the valve? Could this create enough closing force to drop a valve? 48 thou isn't huge by any means but it's all relative to the topic. To give an idea of size difference we're talking the gap in the average spark plug. So, would it make any difference to the durability of the valve head and stem?

I should also know the installed height of both however I wanted to present this question here since so many before me have built many an L series engine and I thought one of you may have done something like this previously.

Thanks to all who can help.

T

• 1 year later...

Howdy gang. Hope everyone is having a nice Monday.

Has anyone here ever used vg30 springs in an L series head? I've not yet match the springs diameter however the info I have found so far tells me that teh vg30 outside spring is 048" longer (2.016) then the stock L series spring (1.968). The inside spring on the vg30 is .030" shorter at 1.736". The L series being 1.766.

My big concern is the length of the outside spring, could .048 be too much for the valve? Could this create enough closing force to drop a valve? 48 thou isn't huge by any means but it's all relative to the topic. To give an idea of size difference we're talking the gap in the average spark plug. So, would it make any difference to the durability of the valve head and stem?

I should also know the installed height of both however I wanted to present this question here since so many before me have built many an L series engine and I thought one of you may have done something like this previously.

Thanks to all who can help.

T