HybridZ

Mediablasting on the roaster

alexideways

Hi, a few years back, I asked a question about mediablasting the shell on the rotisserie and one of the old time, well respected members advised me against it, but I can't remember what was the reason.

I tried to search my own posts and the forums for this reply and can't find it...

Can someone tell me why I should'nt?

Thanks.

Cause if you hit the car from the side with blaster it can start spinning on the rotisserie so fast it will fly out of the booth?

That's a good one...:)

But seriously... I think it even might have been you OR JMortensen (I just can't remember who )who advised me against it.

I remember, I was asking about inflatable casters for the roaster, so I could push it outside for blasting, and someone replied something like "I would personally wait after blasting to put the car on the rotisserie"

I want to know why it's unadvisable... Looks like a pretty good way to clean up the worst part of the shell, no?

Flip it on it's side and soda blast the bottom...

Thanks again.

Alex.

Cause if you hit the car from the side with blaster it can start spinning on the rotisserie so fast it will fly out of the booth?

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Like spraying a paint roller with the water hose!!

I have seen the underside of cars blasted several times on the rotisserie and helped a couple, but come to think of it I haven't seen any other part blasted while on it. I cant remember if the bodies just didn't need it or what. I have a good buddy that does a lot of this type of work. I should see him tomorrow and ill ask if it matters.

The only advice against a rotisserie I might have had was mounting the car with the driveline and suspension still installed. I've put three cars on rotisseries and had them media blasted. It reduced the blasting price by $250 and made a nicer job.

The only advice against a rotisserie I might have had was mounting the car with the driveline and suspension still installed.

Depending on your quality goals :icon2:(and also how strong your rotisserie is) I guess would determine if you wanted to leave the driveline and suspension attached to the car. I personally would remove driveline and suspension. It will give you a finished product that you will be happy with and be a lot less of a hassle to work with. But I tend to go overboard on quality and appearance though.

Sorry getting off topic here:icon56::icon56:

Had a '73 media blasted this summer, bare shell on a rotisserie. They used a non aggressive "star" media, whatever that is. I had them do everything except the outside skin of the body.

Reluctantly, I let the blaster do the inside of the top after getting tons of assurances ("we do cars all the time") that it wouldn't distort the metal. Bad decision!. I've got a cage in the car and the main hoop is snug to the lid so they couldn't blast the entire top, which is apparent when you see the outline of the bar on the outside of the top. It's enough to require a lot of block sanding.

He should have soda blasted the lid, and soda would be my choice for doing a body (skin) too. Good luck with your project!

Steve

• Like 1

It's a bit late, but I finally found what I was looking for.

My question...

...I'll need to pull the damn thing outside to soda blast the car.

The answer...

...I would also suggest that you soda blast it BEFORE you put it on the rotisserie. You can get the vast majority of the stuff, then cleanup the rest with a wire wheel, propane torch, chemicals, etc.

Thanks Zzeal for your input.

Edited by alexideways
spelling