HybridZ

How to do a RHD Conversion

280zjoel

Great job Joel!

A tip from Ztherapy on getting the right texture for your dash is to use a scrap peice of of vinyl from the bottm of a seat cover and daub it in the paint while it is still setting up. Noy sure how easy that would be over an entire dash, but hey...

Good Luck!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So why are you doing this again?

Is it purely just for the cool factor or because you can?

I would say he is doing it because of both.

There are many threads where people talk about doing RHD conversions but never follow through. Joel has shown everyone it can be done and has illustrated the process.

Joel, keep up the good work!

Pm stealth-Z, there is actually a pretty cool story behind how he got it.

Well I managed to get some work done on it. After waiting over 2 weeks for the brother to do the bodywork I finally caved in and started doing the bodywork myself. Here are a few pics of the progress. Almost done and ready for a thick primer coat.

Picture4501.jpg?t=1263014735

Picture4503.jpg?t=1263014797

Picture4504.jpg?t=1263014822

Still a few rough spots but I hope to have it done by the end of the week.

Not much going on. I got most of the engine bay sanded down and almost ready for a full coat of primer. I decided that Im going to spray the engine bay satin black since I am not happy with how the bodywork came out. Its ok, but there seem to be too many imperfections in the engine bay, I was about do fill in all of the ripples and waves that got left from when the metal was stamped into shape, but thats too much work and now I just want to drive the dang car!!!! so anyhow on with the pics:

Picture4505.jpg?t=1263269508

Picture4506.jpg?t=1263270640

Picture4507.jpg?t=1263270668

Well, got the engine bay painted. There are a few spots that I will need to touch up but for the most part I am done with the engine bay.

Here is a before pic:

Picture421.jpg?t=1263353984

And Here is an after pic, the shiny spot on the firewall is just there becuase I just sprayed it, Its all a satin black finish.

Picture4508.jpg?t=1263354203

ahem..... please excuse my messy floor lol:icon45:

Picture4509.jpg?t=1263354279

Picture4510.jpg?t=1263354343

And there you go. Hopefully now I will be more motivated to work on fiber glassing that Dash some more:fmad:....

Alrighty, got some decent progress today. I installed the cross member, and the steering Rack. Also I re-installed the steering column.

Picture4514.jpg?t=1263618708

YAY its in!!!!!!!! I still have to do a little bit of touch up work on the firewall. as well give it another coat of paint lol

Picture4517.jpg?t=1263619118

I was about to install the heater core when I realized that the heater hoses were older than me:-|.... 1 1/2hrs later after I go to the local Autozone and get sent to the back to look for the hoses myself we end up with this:

Picture4520.jpg?t=1263619322

My camera sucks!!!! It make the hoses look used.... anyhow I spent about $25 on less than 1ft of hose(2 pre-bent, and 1 straight piece) and 6 new clamps. Oh well, beats having to change those hoses when its in the car.

Picture4521.jpg?t=1263619514

And here it is installed, It doesnt look like much got done, but all those little things end up taking alot of time. Stay tuned for more updates soon.

Hey guys, got quite a bit done(well at least in my opinion I think i did). The wire harness is in, Im happy TonyD IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!! hehehe the LHD and RHD lower harness are the same and have the same connections. Its just the harness that runs in the dash that is different. Other than that It all looks plug and play:mrgreen:. I got the Master cylinder and slave Master on and mounted up, I just now need to make the lines for one side of the brake lines and mount em up and Im almost ready to drop the engine back In, I have a goal to have the motor in and running by the end of this week. As for fiber glassing the dash, that might take some time. I will post some pics tomorrow of the work done so far.

Got some more work done today. I had to go out and buy a brake line bender(actually I really did not) and a brake line flare tool. I had to make a line from the master cylinder to the left hand side of the car and also a line from the clutch master cylinder. All and all it came out pretty good, I forgot to mention that I also installed the wind shield wiper assembly. here some pics of the progress:

Picture4522.jpg?t=1263961610

Lines, and harness are all in:mrgreen: I know it looks kinda messy, once the motor is in i can set the wiring in the right spot.

Picture4523.jpg?t=1263961778

Just a side shot of the "Mess"

Picture4525.jpg?t=1263961840

Interior shot. Everything is in except the dash( I know I need to work on that:icon45:) BTW I will soon be in the process of installing s14 240sx seats in the Z so I will let you guys know how it came out.

Picture4527.jpg?t=1263961978

And a shot of the cowl panel with the wiper motor installed.

I'm so close to getting the motor in. I need to change the timing chain on the engine and back in it goes. Hopefully ill have it going soon.

Not much goin on at this point, Ive been busy these last few days. I just though I would share a pic of the red Im using on the engine bay. Its called "spicy Merlot" by planet color.

Picture4496.jpg?t=1262893064

I LOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!!

i thought you were going to use this on the engine bay??? i would have sprayed that sucker if i were you. i notice you shaved off the factory mounts on the cross member, what motor you putting in? sorry, this post is toooo long for me to go through.

also planet color is owned by Sherwin Williams. nice quality paint!!! that color is soooo sick....

i thought you were going to use this on the engine bay??? i would have sprayed that sucker if i were you. i notice you shaved off the factory mounts on the cross member, what motor you putting in? sorry, this post is toooo long for me to go through.

also planet color is owned by Sherwin Williams. nice quality paint!!! that color is soooo sick....

I was but I waited about 3 weeks for my brother to do the body work and he never got it done, I ended up doing the bodywork myself and since im not too good at bodywork it did not come out to my liking. So for now satin black will do. As for shaving my cross member, I have an SR20DET installed so I dont need those mounts there:mrgreen::

zhood4.jpg?t=1264482109