280zjoel

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so when its done you bringing it back to Sacramento so we can see it?:burnout:

lol how bout i just pay for your guys gas, and you come back down here. :icon44:

BTW I just wanted to say THANKS to Stealth-Z and ncfisher for personally delivering the clip with all the goodies from Sacramento to the LA area (800mile round trip) :2thumbs:

How do you pass on a two lane road is the same in an LHD or RHD car.

First, don't get so close behind the guy you can't see around him.

Then signal, floor it, get past him and return to your lane of travel.

I own 4 LHD cars, and have never had an issue passing on a two lane.

Matter of fact, towing an 800# TRAILER with my wife and son in the Fairlady Z 2/2 I didn't have problems passing. Especially below 65, as with the 3.90 I would be right alongside them smiling right at the drivers face as he freaked out at where I had my wheel, and shift...accelerating away strongly in third...

No problem. "If you can conceive it, you can achieve it!" as the saying goes...

Apparently that was the rest of what they had in the trailer on that trip. I unloaded the doors from the back of the pickup during that load I believe.

ok, well I got someone helping me do some work on the Z, here is a couple of shots of the engine bay:

Picture4435.jpg?t=1259639426

Picture4436.jpg?t=1259639547

Picture4437.jpg?t=1259639579

Most of it is cleaned off but there is still more work to do. I did end up buying a Por-15 paint kit, with the chassis coat, so i guess its satin black for the engine bay.

Picture4422.jpg?t=1259639808

I dunno why, but i kinda like this pic for some reason, so i though id post it lol :redface:

I've never been in an RHD car to know how different your view angles are, but I've been a passenger. I'm not saying you can't pass, I just thought it would be much more difficult but I guess if your far enough back it's not a problem. The expression on that guys face must have been priceless lol.

JUST FYI, I've used the Por-15 before. It's a very picky paint, also if you have any areas where fluids or moisture can get underneath it pay close attention to seal those. I ended up having hydraulic fluid seep under mine in the engine bay cause it to have a nice big bubble. Didn't eat the paint, but lifted it from the frame rail lol.

When I redid my engine bay I used Interlux Boat Epoxy paint. Used the topcoat they have. Held up great and was much easier to paint than the POR-15!

Keep it up man, I want to see some finished pics!

-Ed

I've never been in an RHD car to know how different your view angles are, but I've been a passenger. I'm not saying you can't pass, I just thought it would be much more difficult but I guess if your far enough back it's not a problem. The expression on that guys face must have been priceless lol.

JUST FYI, I've used the Por-15 before. It's a very picky paint, also if you have any areas where fluids or moisture can get underneath it pay close attention to seal those. I ended up having hydraulic fluid seep under mine in the engine bay cause it to have a nice big bubble. Didn't eat the paint, but lifted it from the frame rail lol.

When I redid my engine bay I used Interlux Boat Epoxy paint. Used the topcoat they have. Held up great and was much easier to paint than the POR-15!

Keep it up man, I want to see some finished pics!

-Ed

Thanks, I know what you mean about the Por-15, they sell a thinner for it so that I can spray with with a spray gun, After I use the metal cleaner and metal etch im going to make sure its dried well, and hit all the areas where the panels meet together with a heat gun to make sure all the moisture is out of the cracks and seams, The plan is Por-15 everything, once its dry to the touch, then add body filler to all the rough spots clean em all up, then the chassis coat over everything. It would be nice to do the body filler first but the Por-15 website give specific directions on how to add filler to panels with Por-15. Also once the Por-15 is sprayed down and dried, im going to use urethane seam sealer to seal off all the seams.

Hey man really nice work, I was looking for just this write up as I am planning on converting mine soon also...may I asked where you sourced your parts? That's the hard part for me cant find them anywhere...the dash isnt the problem but the steering rack and pedal box!

Hey man really nice work, I was looking for just this write up as I am planning on converting mine soon also...may I asked where you sourced your parts? That's the hard part for me cant find them anywhere...the dash isnt the problem but the steering rack and pedal box!

I actually bough the whole set up from someone here on the forum(Stealth-Z). I do have an extra pedal box as well as a Subaru RHD power steering rack, im not sure what mods need to be done to fit the Suby rack but i dont think its to difficult to do.

I actually bough the whole set up from someone here on the forum(Stealth-Z). I do have an extra pedal box as well as a Subaru RHD power steering rack, im not sure what mods need to be done to fit the Suby rack but i dont think its to difficult to do.

Ok thanks, I am trying to source one close to home but I will give you a shout if I don't get through if you're willing to sell. :mrgreen: Is the Sub rack the same length roughly?

hehehe, true. Im happy without the power steering. My Saturn Ion has Electronic steer assist(electric motor instead of power steering pump) and they are know for breaking down(which mine is of course) and that bad boy is HARD to turn. I drove the Z before i tore it down and i had to laugh becuase it felt like i had power steering in the Z compared to my saturn lol

Just wait till you lower it and add wide tires to it. They you will know what people are talking about. I think it is fine once you have some speed up, but at car park speeds or with people autox I can see why people would want power steering.

ok, got an update. Not much but here goes, The engine bay is stripped to bare metal, and the inside of the firewall was too.

Today I got to brush on some Por15 in the inside.

Picture4438.jpg?t=1260325659

GRRRRR dripping Por15 SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Picture4440.jpg?t=1260325713

Picture4441.jpg?t=1260325742

LOL i had some Por15 left over from before(gloss black) and I was able to cover everything except for a 6'' x 12'' section under the cowl panel. So i ended up using some of the new por15 I bought, which i found out came in a semi Gloss coat. Oh well, I am going to spray it over with a topcoat anyways. At least now I am that much closer to getting the interior in.

Earlier I mentioned that I would post some pics of the LHD and RHD parts to show the difference or similarities. Anyhow I took some pics today of some parts. I did not get pics of everything yet. I will post more in the future. Here goes:

Picture4443.jpg?t=1260397361

Pedal Box: Lol RHD on the right side and LHD on the left. As you can see they seem to look the same but the difference is at the top of the pedal box.

Picture4444.jpg?t=1260397555

Here is the top of the pedal boxes. the RHD box curves to the right where as the LHD Box curves to the left, and has a harder bend then the RHD box.

Picture4445.jpg?t=1260397705

Steering Column: They are pretty much the same except for the part that bolts onto the firewall.

Picture4446.jpg?t=1260397961

LOL i forgot to switch the steering shafts around for the pic, so the one on the Right is the LHD and the one on the Left is the RHD steering shaft. Note that the flanges that bolt onto the firewall are different. The bolt pattern on the RHD shaft is 3'' across from center of one bolt to the another, on the LHD its 3 1/2'' across.

Picture4447.jpg?t=1260398227

Im not sure what these are called, but Imna call them the vent boxes:? anyhow you can see that they are complete opposites of each other.

Picture4449.jpg?t=1260398341

And here is the other side of them crazy parts.

On a side note I did manage to buy some more Urethane sealer to seal up all the edges so that I can start to put the interior back together.

Hey people's!!!! Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been getting a good amount of work done on the Z, but its just really time consuming. I got the whole engine bay stripped to bare metal and used Por15 on it. Then the bodywork got on its way. Since im related to the Bondo King (my brother loves BONDO!!!!) I am having him do the work on it to smothen it out. Im not going for a super show car look, just a clean non bumpy engine bay. Then I will spray it with Por15 Chassis coat.

Picture4450.jpg?t=1260845761

Its painted finally!!!!!!!! BTW thats just body filler dust on the sides

Picture4451.jpg?t=1260845815

Picture4452.jpg?t=1260845846

Picture4454.jpg?t=1260845876

Lol the glare from the flash and the body filler make it appear alot worst then it really Is, but some good filler will fix that. Hehehe Like my new cup holder?