HybridZ

Any spec clutch reviews

datsunan

Hi guys, I need a new clutch and have been reading some bad reviews on spec clutches and it seems to be about 50/50. I was looking at doing the spec 3+ for my 360ftlb turbo with fid alum flywheel. I wonder if the bad review are from improper installation or poor product. I am currently running the xtd clutch but its not holding 4th gear. I had the centerforce dual friction and that did not hold either. Car is mostly a daily driver and I want the clutch to last a while without eating my fw. I have read many posts but am still unsure of the spec quality any help would be great thanks Paul

I've been getting the same, about 50/50. A few of the guys at peach parts have been running them on their turbo benz's (It's really the only game in town) and they feel grabby alright, but when the turbo gets down to business, the holding pressure on about half the clutches installed isn't much more (if any at all) than the stock sachs units.

My Spec stage II let up after 1600 miles with only a few days of track use and mostly being driven on the street. It was properly installed with a resurfaced stock flywheel. I would not get another. I will say that the pedal pressure was less than a stock turbo clutch, which was nice.

I now run a Fidanza flywheel with an ACT HD PP and street disk. Pedal pressure is higher than the stock clutch, but not much. I could not be happier with this setup. The engagement at first was down by the floor, but after 500 miles it is in the middle, more or less. No grabbiness, really smooth engagement and easy to drive on the street. I have not taken it to the track, yet. It is rated for 400ft lbs which is plenty for me. My car is only around 270ft lbs. I would definitely recommend this clutch/flywheel setup.

Aaron

Check this out:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=109674&highlight=SPEC+Clutch

Vette, Viper, and Supra guys love them, but they have a really bad rep on Datsuns.

I ran the 323 Spec clutch for a bit. It would slip and chatter as soon as boost hit and my engine torque peaked. I tried two separate new clutches before giving up on Spec. Tech support claimed the clutch was rated to far exceed my power and that there was something wrong with my installation. I had a custom clutch built next and haven't had a problem since (about three years of abuse)...

how was driveability ?

Matter of opinion. I loved it, most people I let drive it thought the pedal was too stiff and it wasn't very street friendly. I had a 2800 or 3200lb pressure plate with it, though. Just takes a little bit of getting used to IMO.