HybridZ

My first Z!

Drove it around today.

car is f-ing FAST!

Gears are long with the r200, thank god. 1st hits almost 45-50, 2nd to about 75mph, and in a damn hurry.

Lots more wiring to do, but I have my coolant and voltmeter working. Speedometer was almost plug and play, but is off by about 4-5 mph according to gps speedo... close enough for me.

I need to figure out the tach, swap the L28 temp sender to get an accurate temp reading, install the oil pressure sender, clean up wiring, install boost and AFR gauges etc.

Overall, it's been a great day. Every time I do a swap like this and drive it the first few days are better than sex and I'm not kidding.

The Z will need better brakes and tires very very soon.

More later.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside my shop this morning, almost 200 miles on the swap. Running great!

at2b.jpg

Finally found the right belt. It's a 6 rib 983mm belt

Works great for not running PS or AC.

Tach is working. Removed inline resistor and wired it directly to stock signal wire. Pretty accurate, with in 200 rpms at redline.

Videos soon!

Edited by Sketch_hs

Which front skirt is that? Did you have to modify much to put on the 240z bumpers with it? Sorry, I didn't realize you'd said Venus Automotive earlier, I had just read 8 pages.

phar

I bought it used (actually traded) I think it's the MSA or something, defiantly urethane.

The 240 bumpers just needed simple brackets made.

Are you using the stock Speedo/tach?

Yes, mechanical speed sensor for r154 tranny works with stock cable, only off by about 4mph at 70 (reads 66)

stock 280z tach, works fine if you remove the inline resistor on the drivers side under the dash area. Off by about 200 rpms at redline.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove it about 250 miles this weekend! Running great :)

Did a boost gauge install. Gutted the broken clock and inserted a VDO boost gauge.

gauge.jpg

Matches the rest of the gauges in it's style and lights up green like the stock gauges, though a bit brighter.

Boosting a solid 11-12psi. Feels very quick!

Tried to make a video today. Sorry my camera and filming skills aren't that great :)

Doesn't do the car or the sound of the car justice

Speedo is off by about 5mph at 70 about 8-9 at 100 according to GPS speedo. Top speed on the run was about 120 maybe 125. First shift at about 45 second about 65 etc.

Was running about 11psi (wastegates only stock downpipe, 2.25 exhaust)

• 2 weeks later...

Took it to the track, traction was a MAJOR issue. Spinning to around 50-60mph. Still running shitty 10 year old all season tires LOL

Anyways the car ran a best of a 13.01, trap speeds where 108-111mph, terrible 60fts 2.2-2.4 seconds.

Pretty good for a stock engine.

Time for mods! Y-pipe and 3 inch exhaust should open it up, along with more boost and some tuning. I'll max out the stock turbos on crappy 91 octane (maybe 17 psi or so) until they blow up, then I'll do a single turbo :)

However, before I do any more power mods besides the y-pipe and exhaust I'm definitely going to upgrade wheels/tires and brakes!

I drove my buddies 220hp V6 mr2 that I built for him around today after some brake upgrades and I got to say, it feels slow to me after daily driving 1jz 280z!

More stuff coming soon. I switched the muffler around AGAIN because it was just too loud for me. I'll post some pics of that tomorrow.

Pics of current exhaust setup. Was able to push this muffler in further by putting a nice dent in the rear corner of the can. Then I painted the can with high temp mat black.

Very happy with the noise reduction. It's very quiet now, the sound of the turbos sucking in air is what you mostly hear until high RPMs when it really sings. No loss of power that I can feel. This is all foreplay anyways until I build a nice 3 inch system. It's going be be hard though because the 2 incher is already pretty low hanging in some parts....

IMG_20101115_074928.jpg

IMG_20101115_074943.jpg

IMG_20101115_074911.jpg

You did a 13.01 with 2.25in exhaust?!?!

That Z definitely scoots!

Yup. probably only 2inch in some crush bend parts. There is probably another 30whp in a full 3" exhaust and 3inch downpipe w/ turbo y-pipe.

Looks great! How much to you think this thing weighs? about 2500?

Also' date=' how did the 1jz affect handling (I assume its a bit heavier than the stock 2.8L)?[/quote']

I'd guess closer to 2300-2400?

The engine doesn't weigh much more, but the transmission does. After the swap the front wheel gap didn't change much but the rear dropped a little for sure.

The handling is noticeably improved, thanks to the engine being further back by about 5 inches and about 2-3 inches lower.

Yeah i'll need to weigh the car to know for sure! But a 1jz with no AC or PS and a r154 should be about 600-620lbs

The l28 fuel injected engine and trans complete should be around 520lbs?

It's heavier for sure, but with the significantly improved power and handling who cares :)

Did I mention how much better the gas millage is? :P

Edited by Sketch_hs

Nice....I need to hurry up with my swap and get it running at least so we can roll out on a cruise someday. I did it the long way though. Strip it all apart and redoing it from scratch and want to run the bone stock n/a 2jz first to see how suspension and everything works out first before trying to lay down 450-500hp.