HybridZ

My first Z!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first z :D. 1978 280z.. the rust you see is just from lack of paint and is surface rust.. it is slightly gouged into the body so ill probably bondo it and sand it then put fender flares over it. Gotta completely redo the interior.. only thing i wont actually replace will be the gauges, dash(gonna cap it) and glove box.. and maybe keep the left door panel. Engine actually runs strong but needs a new starter (no biggie).. Hopefully after I fix the interior ill move on to do a turbo swap.. Paid 1360 for this project.

post-12955-046114400 1282866531_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If necessity is the mother of invention, then boredom was this weekends daddy. I picked up a someone ricey muffler can for $20 this weekend of craigs. Decided to slap it on the Z after a few beers. I made a 2.5 inch exhaust out of spare pipes from the factory header back. It sounds great, very quiet, I wish it was actually a bit louder. Personally, I know it's a big old can but I kinda like it, it looks better in person and quite aggressive :)

Hate it, love it, it's probably coming off when I do the swap.

exhaust3.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

If necessity is the mother of invention, then boredom was this weekends daddy. I picked up a someone ricey muffler can for $20 this weekend of craigs. Decided to slap it on the Z after a few beers. I made a 2.5 inch exhaust out of spare pipes from the factory header back. It sounds great, very quiet, I wish it was actually a bit louder. Personally, I know it's a big old can but I kinda like it, it looks better in person and quite aggressive :)

Hate it, love it, it's probably coming off when I do the swap.

exhaust3.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

Sketch, If yours is ``A BIG OLD CAN``than what would you call mine? CIMG1003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

The L28 currently in the Z has been SOLD!

The best part of the deal is that I'll be installing it in the buyers Z, funding 90% of the engine swap!

Engine will be coming out and going into his Z over the next two weeks, meanwhile it's time to buy a 2jzgte swap.

MEGA UPDATE!

Sure is nice have a day off during the week. (I work four 10 hour days :)

So this morning I did a brake upgrade on my customers V6 mr2 (1997 mr2 turbo JDM spec front brakes). Took about 2 hours he was very happy.

Then I pulled the motor out of the Z! OMG easiest car to work on ever. Took about an hour to have it out :D

Then I headed over to my local JDM parts imported and took a look at what he had. He didn't have any 2jzgte motors, but he had 2jzge and 1jzgte motors. I expected to go home motor-less but he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.

I got the complete swap with EVERYTHING I need for over $500 less that I expected to pay for JUST a 2jzgte engine.

FREE DELIVERY! The owner of the engine importer lives 2 blocks from me!

1jzgte complete swap with r154 trans

Drive shaft, worth over $100!

Power steering reservoir (again worth a lot) - Yes this Z will get power steering eventually, and AC!

A bunch of aluminum intercooler pipes and silicone couplers and even a ARC BOV! (worth like $200)

And a cold air intake that came in it's toyota soarer clip

AND the radiator fan shroud from the soarer which should fit my mkiv supra. I've been looking for a good condition shroud for awhile and the are hard to find and expensive.

ALL of this for $500 LESS than I spend on my last engine only swap that took too months to arrive.

PICS PICS PICS!

Engine coming out:

l28out.jpg

Pressure washed and primered engine bay. No more bare metal! Will probably paint factory orange in here... maybe. Don't really care. It's my daily!

enginebay.jpg

The guys over at Venus Automotive in Sacramento have everything you need, are friendly, will make you a deal no problem. They did the compression test right in front of me. HIGHLY recommended! That's the owner and forklift master getting my 1jz from it's proud top shelf storage :)

Venus.jpg

Here the engine sits, waiting to turn the Z into a rocket ship. The Z looks a little concerned.

futurehome.jpg

The supra looks interested, but knows she's my TRUE love :D

supra1jz.jpg

PROGRESS!

Spent 90% of my weekend in the garage. :)

Mounts done, starting circuit done, power circuit done, and started mocking up charge pipes.

intercooler1jz.jpg

nice!

1jzin.jpg

Close to the firewall :)

closefirewall.jpg

Very close! Should have good weight distribution.

shifterandwiring.jpg

Shifter lines up great. Still a lot of wiring to do.

centershift.jpg

Sweet JDM shift knob that came with my swap.... I kinda dig it! Nice to be able to row through 5 gears on the Z :)

1jzandsupra.jpg

Supra getting jealous from all the attention being given to the Z.

That it for this weekend. I'll get some more work done next weekend and maybe some weeknights.

UPDATE:

So I've been putting in about an hour or two on the car after work and spent my entire day off on it today.

almost.jpg

Cooling system is done except for a single heater hose

Drive shaft done

Charge pipes hooked up (will refine the set up later)

Fuel pump in and working (Walbro 255)

Fuel lines routed

Clutch line done

Custom V belt done for no AC or PS pumps (40 inches, thanks Napa!)

Charging system wired up

Start up video. This is the second start, but it started right up on the first try.

Still need to do a lot of wiring, figure out one heater hose, make an exhaust, fill trans fluid, bleed clutch, test cooling system and complete throttle cable before I can drive it.

I'll definitely be driving it this weekend though. Pretty excited!

Wow, I'll say, no time wastage at all. I just read your whole thread. Very cool, it's awesome to see how much you've done. That Swap has to be one of the quickest swaps I've seen. Did you have any issues with the motor mounts, Which ones did you use? Stock Toyota? How about the oilpan clearance, looks like it's sitting pretty low in the bay. Sounds like that Engine guy gave you an awesome deal on the engine. Mind letting us know who he is? We could all use a good deal now and then. anyway, nice job and keep the picts coming.

Phar

Wow, I'll say, no time wastage at all. I just read your whole thread. Very cool, it's awesome to see how much you've done. That Swap has to be one of the quickest swaps I've seen. Did you have any issues with the motor mounts, Which ones did you use? Stock Toyota? How about the oilpan clearance, looks like it's sitting pretty low in the bay. Sounds like that Engine guy gave you an awesome deal on the engine. Mind letting us know who he is? We could all use a good deal now and then. anyway, nice job and keep the picts coming.

Phar

Venus Automotive in Sacramento, as stated a few posts up.

Stock Toyota mounts, but one of them is from an aristo 2jz or something. I shaved a little off them, used the stock z isolators and built brackets off the subframe on the turbo side and and off the frame rail on the intake side, going around the steering shaft. Not totally happy with the intake sides mount, i might reinforce it some more. The steering shaft is right in the way.

The transmission mount is 100% fab

My goal is to make it a running/driving project car as soon as possible. I'll be cleaning up the wiring in the bay, and redoing all the charge piping later probably. Then eventually dumping the stock twins for a small single turbo and running engine management like mega squirt or a MAP2 ecu etc.

Edited by Sketch_hs