HybridZ

Why a proper roll cage is important...

rturbo 930

Stolen from another forum. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen. Look closely at the pics towards the bottom.

So, how do you go from from this...

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea..._fx/index.html

IMG_0900-1.jpg

To this?

IMG_0957.jpg

Answer:

By going end over end after the tire wall.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

I am guessing the people lived? Kinda stupid if you read what was said, "building a track car that can be street legal". No cage? My street car that I took to HPDE did once upon a time have a cage but like MIKELLY said once....not safe for a driver. I use to hit my head on the cage just getting in and out, couldn't imagine what it would feel like in a crash.

Hope the two people were ok.

The new Car FX company motto: "Look Better, Go Faster, Die."

This is a great quote:

The most aggressive performer of the three wears the lowest number, No. 12. Will explained the Car FX plan of attack. "Instead of building a street car that can go out there and race on the track, we built a track car that we could make street legal. Car FX stripped car No. 12 of most of its interior. It replaced the rear glass and door glass with Plexiglas to subtract more weight. The vehicle barely tips the scales at 3,000 pounds. "We shaved weight everywhere we possibly could," Will said.

Another "race prep" shop to cross off you're list. They didn't even put a roll bar in their "track" car.

Edited by johnc

I am guessing the people lived? Kinda stupid if you read what was said, "building a track car that can be street legal". No cage? My street car that I took to HPDE did once upon a time have a cage but like MIKELLY said once....not safe for a driver. I use to hit my head on the cage just getting in and out, couldn't imagine what it would feel like in a crash.

Hope the two people were ok.

Yep, both driver and passenger are fine. Amazingly.

WOW, I didn't even see that. They must have 240z floor pans. John, no trying to put you on the spot here......but true race shops that build "track prep" cars....what would you reinforce the floor with so that doesn't happen or do you just go with a completely different style cage?

Kinda scary when you look at it guys, I am thinking our bolt in cages from MSA would do the same exact thing if flipped. ????

its amazing the guy lived with the roll cage collapsing like that, and having the cage supports punch thru the floor shows the rest of the welds in the cage as well as the base plated were not worth a crap, think about it, even with defective base plates the vertical supports are x braced and cross braced and welded to the door cages, front and rear cage supports, etc., all of which had to fail for the roof to pancake

Edited by grumpyvette

Holy ♥♥♥♥! You're right. They did have a roll bar in the car and it punched through the floor.

After all John, its 1.5 tons of... I'll keep my opinions to myself. 3000 pounds X the velocity of the car hitting the ground, does any floor pan hold up to those forces? Seems like the cage would need better base plate points or something. Roll bars are good, they allow the windshield to fold in but nothing behind you can. Perfect for face peels, if you're lucky maybe a face crush. Anyone see pictures of that before? >_> I've seen way too many faces split open like flowers and skinned for my own good. :shock: