HybridZ

Looking for a Texan Z-Car aficionado...

I hope to keep this post from getting too drawn out, but here's my issue.

I've got a 1978 280Z that I began rebuilding over the summer. I stripped and rebuilt the suspension with new parts and bushings. I swapped to 4Runner front brakes and Mustang rear brakes. I disassembled almost everything from the engine back and put it back together. Here's a photo for reference:

DSCN0520.jpg

The drivetrain is practically finished minus a few nuts and bolts. However, after doing all that work, I began focusing on the engine. I cannot get the bloody thing to start. I've checked all the connections from the EFI bible and the Z Tech manual. Everything tests within range at the ECU connector, but the damned thing just won't start. It seems to me that the injectors are not firing at all (nor do they show positive voltage when the ignition is on). This leads me to believe my issue is with the ECU itself.

Is there anyone out there with some knowledge or some free time to help me out with my car over the winter? Does anyone have a spare 280Z L28(manual) ECU for sale in the Texas area? I'm currently in College Station and the car is in San Antonio; I'm just trying to formulate a plan to get my car on the road soon.

Thanks y'all, Eric.

you need a noid light to check the injectors. DID you check the fuel pressure? Have you checked that you are actually getting spark? Seem simple questions and you appear knowledgeable from your post but even the most seasoned of us have overlooked the obvious. Do you smell raw gas coming out the exhaust you may have flooded the engine. pull a plug see if it is wet OR push the gas pedal to the floor and keep it there while cranking the engine. Give it good long crank see if you get a few pops. I did that swapping a turbo engine to an n/a. Ran in circles checking and rechecking but finally dawned on me why I smelled raw fuel out the exhaust. Is your battery and cables in really good shape. Z's are real finicky about voltage a little low and they sometimes refuse to cooperate.

Make sure all your relays are ground properly, when I went to check my fuel injectors I just found six small spice jars, yanked the fuel rail and injector wiring as one unit and set each injector in it's own little car that way I could see that they were firing as well as the spray pattern.

I've got a spare 280Z ecu in S.A.

DID you check the fuel pressure?

Have you checked that you are actually getting spark?

Is your battery and cables in really good shape?

Yes, I have fuel pressure. I had a clogged fuel rail at one point, so I removed the whole setup and swapped in another fuel rail. After that, I assumed my problem was the fuel injectors themselves, so I bought a brand new set. The system is partially working, because the cold-start injector fires once when cranking. However, no fuel comes out of the return line regardless of pressure duration or cranking. Most of my relays are bad and I had hard-wired them for the time being (bad idea, I know, but should work in theory). My fuel pump is also hard-wired to a switch for the time being (another bad idea, I know). I also replaced my drop-resistors with a junkyard set.

I need to simply devote more time to it, but a noid light should help in diagnosis and I believe a new ECU may solve the problem. Thanks for all your help. Sparky, can you PM me your information? I should be making a trip to SA this coming weekend (November 6-8). Perhaps I could purchase that ECU from you. Thanks, Eric.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

two of my injectors were stuck(i took a clip and put it on the injector and hooked up to the clip were a positive and negative side cable. i put the negative side on the battery terminal and then struck the positive side till the injector started ticking again)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I figured I should update this thread after its long hiatus. I'm still not sure that the ECU is good, but I can say with almost 100% certainty that I have a clogged fuel tank (happened progressively). The fuel pump is drawing a decent amount of vacuum but the with the tank feed line disconnected (and 10 gallons of fresh gas in the tank), I'm getting no flow. I'm going to drop the tank next time I'm in San Antonio and clean it up. Hopefully this will solve some of my issues.

I've read that the best way to clean it out is with muriatic acid. Where's the best place to get some?

• 2 weeks later...

Home Depot, swimming pool supply houses etc. Its a common acid available to the public. Search here and classicz, zcar.com and Atlantic z club. They have a good tech section from "Blue" with PICTURES on cleaning gas tanks.

You could use the old and tried method of a gas can with a rubber hosestuck in it hooked to your fuel pump for testing purposes.

Home Depot, swimming pool supply houses etc. Its a common acid available to the public. Search here and classicz, zcar.com and Atlantic z club. They have a good tech section from "Blue" with PICTURES on cleaning gas tanks.

You could use the old and tried method of a gas can with a rubber hosestuck in it hooked to your fuel pump for testing purposes.

Yup, I was planning to try the gas can method next time I'm near the car (hopefully soon). Thanks for the info on the acid.