HybridZ

Assistance ID'ing a Stock Turbo From Volvo 740?

Zerocell5688

Ok so a few weeks back me and some friends of mine were at a junk yard and we ran across a Volvo 740 Wagon Intercooled anf snatched a Pretty good turbo ( No shaft play, spins easy, a little oil on it but generally pretty clean.) And i got a Turbo Manifold for an L28 now (Thanks Scott_M67) now i just gotta get the Volvo turbo off the stock volvo mani and try and mount it on the L28 one. I've been searching for a few weeks trying to ID it, i had a model number for it but i forgot to bring it with me to work but when i ran it it said it was similar to a Mitsu of some type or another does anyone else on this site happen to have any information or experience with 740 stock Turbos? I'll post pics up ASAP to try and assist in this. It was an 80's model i was so excited and in a hurry i didn't get the year and model it was off of :doh: but it was like 30 min till they were closing so i was rushing like hell. Anyways any input would be appreciated thanks!

~J

PS: I read on a few volvo foums that the stock turbo for the 740 wagon was rated at 8-10psi of boost and is capable for up too 25psi max i think. I see some people swaping on other T3 styles onto it so i guess i'm just trying to figure out what "Style" this turbo is and what i would need to do to mount it onto the Stock L28 Manifold. If nothing else at least we have this topic up and presented now so as we get answers other people looking to do this won't have to fight as hard as i am for answers

From Wiki

Aside from styling, 1990 marked a number of mechanical improvements to the 740 series. The B230 motor received larger 13 mm (0.5 in) connecting rods. The 740 Turbo switched from the Garrett T3-series turbocharger to the Mitsubishi TD04 series, offering quicker spool-up and better low-RPM boost at the expense of top-end performance.

This one apears to be a TD05-12b Volvo Turbo which is a Mitsubishi stock type. Appearantly its way to small to use on the L28 unless i was using a pair... and i'm not about to go TT on this car lol. Perhaps it'll bolt up to my Zx2 no problem.. hm... so now i need a new turbo lol. So much for this idea thanks anyways guys lol

~J

could you say it is an upgrade from the t3 that comes stock on the l28et??

I wouldn't know about that i don't have any comparison for flow but i gues the 12b indicates its a smaller intake compressor so its restricting at least thats what all the DSM sites i found i don't have any other experience but its tiny and it looks like it fits on backwards from the way the turbo is supposed to mount. Unless it doesn't matter what way you rotate it. Sorry guys i'm noob status in this department, thats why i'm askin! lol I'm still workin on gettin pics guys sorry its takin forever. I'll trade someone for a stock Z Turbo :mrgreen:

~J

on another note i found this site to help with selecting a Turbo if anyone is familiar with how to use it

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/

I'm not sure what all the stock info if for the L28 or the L28T but someone may know how to use this better i was trying to figure how to use it to find a good one for me but the two turbos i have i can't locate on the map thing .

~J