HybridZ

EFI Or Holley Carb

240zJon

okay so i got a perdicament my 72 has the su that are starting to crap out on me. I almost drained the batery trying to start it in the cold. So im looking for somenthing else and i found a holley carb and AZ intake for 150, I also found a motor with EFI for 250. Now my question is what wold you guys go for? i need some insight. also if anyone has swapped there Su are you happy with what you got now? IM kinda on a Tight budget of around 350 if i buy the EFI. is it possible to do it that cheap?

Since you got carbs now going FI would probably cost more. You will need to get a FI fuel pump, plus a few other things to get it to work. You can get the parts cheap but the conversion would still end up costing more than sticking with carbs. The 4bbl carb setup should bolt right in and work fine with whatever stuff you have now, mine starts right up cold. Cheapest option will probably be just to rebuild the SUs, with a little work you can get them to work just as well as the 4bbl cold or not.

I agree. FI is nice, that's what my 77 had, but IMO carbs are easer to troubleshoot if you run into a problem. It will cost a bit less to stay with carbs, there is allot of stuff that goes into the FI system that you may not be thinking of right off. I did the Arizona Z setup with a Carter 4BBL and am pretty happy with the result. It is a straight up install and won't take long to get it running. I prefer Carter over Holley, I think they are easer to tune on the fly. You don't have to strip the carb down to change rods, seats springs ect. If you go for one, be sure to install an off road needle and seat kit, they don't like being mounted sideways.

Yeah maybe i should just try and rebuild the carbs but i like the dependablity of efi... the PO swapped it over to efi at one point then back to carbs. It still has the wiring harness ecu and a couple other things i just don't what it really needs also If i get a harness from one year and a ecu from another are they compatable? wheres a good place for cheap fuel pumps besides the junkyard lol.