HybridZ

Interesting day yesterday...

BRAAP

• Administrators

Hunter shoots deer in neighbors pasture without permission.

Phlebmaster and his daughter came out to help scrap out some of our parts cars while I was assembling my fathers Turbocharged SBC 350 short block.

Phleb is towing parts car from behind the shop with the tractor, his daughter was busy tearing apart an L-26, RTz and myself are out front talking about something car related when we hear the distinct sound of a gun shot. We look out across my neighbors pasture in the general direction the shot came from, some 200 yards North of us and see 2 deer standing there, and one then falls to the ground. Over on the road some 100 yards due West of the deer are 2 pickups parked on the side of the road. Long story short, one pickup is a guy that lives down the road approx 2 miles, driving into town with his 5-6 year old son, saw the deer in my neighbors pasture, stopped to show his boy the deer, took a real nice picture of the deer on his cel phone. Minute or so later some idiot pulls up in his pick up, sees the deer, gets out with his rifle, leans on the fence next to the road and shoots the 4 point buck! My neighbors house was directly behind the deer from the shooters vantage point! DANGEROUS! This is rural, but there are still quite a few house within range of an errant bullet! Then the idiot and his 10-11 year old daughter scramble through the fence and drag the deer into the back of the pickup as myself, RTz, and my neighbor who owns the pasture the deer was shot, show up on the scene. The guy who took the pic of the deer alive then takes another cel phone shot of the dead deer in the back of the truck! (Sherrif and State troopers are thankful for copies of those pics). My neighbor and this idiot are having words, idiot thinks he has rights to shoot anywhere he wants, neighbors says this is private property, trespassing, etc.. Argument turns to yelling, idiot then tears out of there with the deer in the back of his truck. Turns out the idiot is friends/related to another neighbor just down the road approx. 1/4 mile and that is where he took the deer! :shock: The Sherrif shows up as well as the state troopers! Neighbor and the cops go down to where the idiot and deer are, the rest of us get back to our day.

This idiot is in trouble! Road hunting is illegal in Oregon, he will most likely be charged with reckless endangerment due to the shot he took and my neighbor is pressing charges for trespassing!

I took this pic of the morning fog from our place, shows the scene;

Idiot.jpg

I hate idiots like this. They give ethical law abiding hunters and shooters a bad image, and give the anti hunting/antigun crowd more reasons to get worked up into a frenzy.

I hope they get the full punishment allowed by law.

John

That could be a near repeat of what happened to myself, the late Kevin Keskimaki, Pecker Pete and Eino Kangas in 1978. We were out back of his barn, overlooking his pasture with one old Bull sitting out their minding his own business, while we were cutting up an old VW and doing some crap to Eino's tractor. Up rolls a International Scout, and this guy jumps out, grabs a gunsleeve from the back, and lays across the fencepost and SHOOTS EINO'S COW! MOOO! Drops dead right there.

We are all looking at each other like "WTF?!?!?" Eino says 'Pete, go call the cops, I'm getting my shotgun!' We go out into the pasture with Eino behind his double barrel with him screaming about what the f- this guy was doing shooting on his property.

Punchline: Guy was from a 'large city down south' and was stationed at the nearby AFB. He got the free hunting license and was just in love with our rural scenery and this new hunting thing... This guy thought an old brown bull was...er... 'a spikehorn'.

Biggest damn spikehorn I ever saw. Maybe he thought it was closer than it was, and that explained the size difference. I don't know. Sheriff showed up with Eino about ready to blow the guys head off for killing the damn beef. Ended up the guy got a citation for roadshooting (illegal in Michigan as well) as well as discharge within 400 ft of an inhabited structure (the barn) and eventually was ordered by the judge to pay restitution for the damaged livestock.

The prior year someone who shall remain nameless fell out of their treestand and broke his whitetails back... It was not me, but I was in prime position to witness it. You guys don't know how great digital technology is---I would love to have digital shots or video of either of these incidents!

I can't figure guys thinking they will violate deer in the presence of other locals with video and photographic means at their disposal. You won't get away!

Not like the old days when the guys would load the kids (under 14) into the truck with 22's to go get meat for the local unemployed families every Christmas (33% unemployment in the area... yeah today is soooo terrible!)

I digress...

• Administrators

Driving by the field last night, I saw two Staters investigating. I Stopped to talk with them. They asked a few questions and told me it was looking like a record buck, or close to it, and there was public 'chatter' about it. A little googling...

103109sandydeer2.jpg

Some of the forum talk is interesting... http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=275841

News story... http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2009/11/sandy_man_cited_for_illegally.html

Guest Rolling Parts
I hate idiots like this. They give ethical law abiding hunters and shooters a bad image, and give the anti hunting/antigun crowd more reasons to get worked up into a frenzy.

Agree 100%.

We have the same no-road rules enacted for such drive-by hunters.

I wish the Game Departments that use "robo-deer" would publish stupid poacher video arrests... (http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2006-12/2006-12-20-voa34.cfm?CFID=315377475&CFTOKEN=94437732&jsessionid=003054ed3f1b386deea96d301a6e684f4a32 ).

I wish the Game Departments that use "robo-deer" would publish stupid poacher video arrests...

We have a pretty good robo deer program in NC. They raise and turn their head, flip their tail, and walk. A friend who is a game warden says they catch a lot of road hunters with them, which I think is great.

That's a beautiful deer. Damn shame he was taken by a drive by.

John

He shot toward an occupied dwelling?

JAIL. TIME.

Wrong on so many different counts. No tags, no license, not in season(or is it? Isn't it elk season up there right now?), had to trespass to retrieve the deer, road shooting, firing towards a dwelling. Lock this moron up, he's making legitimate hunters and shooters look like bloodthirsty fools.

deer hunting season was over last weekend in central cali.i was forced to hunt by my dad when i was a kid(dont all dads want thier sons to like thier hobbies?) but i dont like the taste of game .so i leave the animals in the forest alone.i dont agree with all the great white hunters with freezers full of game-shoot it and eat it fresh or leave it alone.kind of chickenshit hunting from the road.and shooting in a semi-residential area.

Who needs a rifle? Drive from Klammath to Bend a couple times at night : /.

Ruined the front of my Dad's Tacoma this way, on our way to Washington to visit family last month. It's the biggest white tail buck I had ever seen... seemed a bit bigger than anything in California anyway.

But yea firing anything out in the open near houses is just plain dumb.

The taste of the game is directly related to it's forage. If all it eats is sagebrush, guess what it will taste like? Cornfed venison is darned tastey and doesn't have the 'gamey' taste of the deer I've tasted in TX or CA.

As for that freezer comment, unless you got a BIG family... you ain't eating a 180# whitetail in one sitting. And a 1500# elk? Fagedaboudit!

I know people in MI that eat roadkilled deer ("I check under their shoulder, and if they're still warm, I'm taking the backstraps and tenderloins at least!" K.D.) on a regular basis. Sure fresh is great, but legally that's not possible unless you're a true scavenger...

The taste of the game is directly related to it's forage. If all it eats is sagebrush, guess what it will taste like? Cornfed venison is darned tastey and doesn't have the 'gamey' taste of the deer I've tasted in TX or CA.

As for that freezer comment, unless you got a BIG family... you ain't eating a 180# whitetail in one sitting. And a 1500# elk? Fagedaboudit!

I know people in MI that eat roadkilled deer ("I check under their shoulder, and if they're still warm, I'm taking the backstraps and tenderloins at least!" K.D.) on a regular basis. Sure fresh is great, but legally that's not possible unless you're a true scavenger...

Yeah about 3 months ago my mom hit a deer and not 5 mins after we went to go look at it and it was already gone... i just couldn't do it