HybridZ

misprints in the engine rebuilding book

inmocean

thank god for the factory service manual...recently rebuilt my l28, using "how to rebuild your nissan/datsun ohc engine" book by tom monroe as a resource...anyone else notice the misprints on pages 12 and 110/111? page 12 gives the correct firing order but illustrates it wrong on the cap, and the valve clearance specs are all mixed-up in the text on 110 and then to the photo caption on 111...

Sound about right, fingertight.

:lmao:

Hey, its better then me sticking in the rear main cap backwards at first. Wasn't paying attention at all. Luckily I only torqued them down 3-4 ftlbs. Had to use the little inlbs torque wrench so that would be 12x3 = 36inlbs.

Don't forget to torque the front cover bolts to 10 ftlbs too. :icon56: Thats a true statement, don't strip the aluminum.

Firing order matters, but the prong on the dizzy doesn't. :] Thats my major preach... It doesn't matter if wire #1 is at 12 o'clock or at 5 o'clock, as long as the firing order is correct, you're fine. I've seen too many souls freak out because the rotor isn't facing in the right position.

• 2 weeks later...

here's another misprint, different book though...datsun z, fairlady to 280z, by brian long...page 136, black and white of datsun restoration, can anyone tell me what's going on with that engine? it's backwards, oil filter on wrong side...exhaust manifold shown appears normal...someone out there must have seen this too!

• 2 months later...

Other than these misprints, was the rebuild quite successful with the book, "How to rebuild your datsun/nissan engine OHC" ?

just curious, cause i am reaching towards the day when im going to rebuild my engine. And i had just purchased this book on amazon

Tom Monroe used to tie his plane down next to mine at Ryan Field in Tucson. He wrote for HP Books then and having been a Ford engineer he wrote the "How to rebuild" books for Ford engines. He left Tucson to go to one of the Carolinas to work for a NASCAR team. He was a pretty sharp guy. I wonder if the errors are his or the editors.

Waddie