I put on my Lonewolf intake, and 90mm TB

big-phil

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Automotive machine and supply in Ft. Worth Texas. That's where Chris had his head ported and he made 403whp at 17 lbs. I also ordered the same Isky cam Chris has.

Can you document and report what kind of work they are doing to the head? Pics too? Also, which cam is Chris using? I'd like to get one too. Chris's car is my benchmark for performance, and yours is for color. :mrgreen:

Greg

Well, he has it on now and I think he's headed for a little more than that, if you know what I mean. :-)

Phil, did they talk to you about what oil to use on the Isky cam?

I went on what chris did for his. Crappy auotzone brand oil. 2500 rpm for 20 min, then changed to Mobil 1 synthetic. Was using royal purple till I heard some things from Gabe

Can you document and report what kind of work they are doing to the head? Pics too? Also, which cam is Chris using? I'd like to get one too. Chris's car is my benchmark for performance, and yours is for color. :mrgreen:

Greg

I bought all this stuff from a fellow Z car club member here in town. He said they did about $1400 of work to it. Chambers, ports. All to match the forged pistons I got from him also.

also guys I took my 2mm head gasket appart. It was 5 layers- thin, thick, thin, thick, thin. Now its thin, thick, thin. Because of the stock dished turbo pistons that are in the motor now. I'm trying to get away from the crazy low CR that I must of had with the 2mm HG and stock turbo pistons.

the surge seems to be gone?? But im still tuning and dont really dare to beat the car up yet. Yes the front bracket it mounted to the top of the water pump, and runs throught the wires kinda. I'm going to make the bracket again to look better. I bought the cable, and it was not cheap, but it was a little to short for what i need? This is my attempt at making it work. Going to keep the dizzy. I dont think my haltech e6k will do coil over and sequential injection?

ok its not stonwalling i dont think. Its surging but i hear it in the screamer pipe more than ever. I bypassed the boost controller and it held the stock 9 lb WG spring pressure all the way up to 6500 rpm. Hook the BC back up and it creeps the stock 9 lbs all the way to 15 lbs by 6500 rpm. I think my boost controller is not working right? Chris has the same one so ill sweet talk him into letting me use his??

What the hell is the 'screamer pipe'?

If you held the wastegate closed are you saying it's still doing the same sound, same thing? I don't know where my original post went from earlier today...

Stonewalling is when you are out of compressor flow capabilithy and the turbo won't flow any more air. It makes no noise, you just see your injector pulsewidth, powerband, and everything just flatten off.

You shouldn't be stonewalling at 15psi on your setup, the compressor won't stonewall until probably 20-25psi at higher rpms, like 7000+

JeffP's GT35R will make power to 7000+ rpms at 20 psi, but then 'goes flat'.

At 17psi, the power peak is still climbing to 7500+ rpms before flattening out.

He does not readily accept my blunt statement of "You need a bigger turbo, Jeff!" Matter of fact, I believe his last reply to that statement was... er, I can't print that, but it involved an impossilby disgusting sex act with myself and the costs involved in a GT40 or 42...

But he knows I'm right, especially if he wants to keep making power to 8000+ rpms.

Heh heh heh!

A screamer pipe is just name for an open wastegate pipe.

They are cool for a while, but I kinda got tired of the first one I did about 2 weeks later. That was a DD, though.

Pre-IC air temps might give you a good clue if you're maxing it out, but I seriously doubt it.

Your BC should not be doing that, it should only delay spool, not make it creep. Check your vac lines; anything other than silicone or high grade stuff can eventually fail; usually right where it slides onto a barb.

Tony, surely 'the act' wasn't directly correlated to the costs, now was it? :mrgreen:

I bought all this stuff from a fellow Z car club member here in town. He said they did about $1400 of work to it. Chambers, ports. All to match the forged pistons I got from him also.

Thanks Phil. Was hoping you knew the specs and what had been done to your setup. I guess I'll just have to spec my build from scratch so I have an engine with good balance and power.

Tony D if you can convince your friend to get a bigger turbo, I've got a T3/T04 that I was considering selling. It was rebuilt and has an O trim and a .82 hot side. Also has a V band. I don't know much more about it than that right now. If interested, then PM me.

greg

I switched out my boost controller with Chris with no luck. It just does not make sense? With the top of the WG unhooked and plugged it hold the stock 9lbs to 6500, hook the top line back up, then with the boost controller off for the 9lb setting it creep from 9-15lbs by 6500 rpm? I got a diamond tooth porting tool from Chris and im taking the manifold back off to port the dog poop outta the WG????

I switched out my boost controller with Chris with no luck. It just does not make sense? With the top of the WG unhooked and plugged it hold the stock 9lbs to 6500, hook the top line back up, then with the boost controller off for the 9lb setting it creep from 9-15lbs by 6500 rpm? I got a diamond tooth porting tool from Chris and im taking the manifold back off to port the dog poop outta the WG????

Sorry, what WG and BC exactly?

Going to keep the dizzy. I dont think my haltech e6k will do coil over and sequential injection?

You're right. I don't think there are enough outputs for that, BUT you CAN do a wasted-spark ignition (3 coils, each coil firing 2 plugs) with their standard multipoint injection (fire all injectors at once).

It is MUCH more important to have fine ignition control than fine fuel control. In addition to that you can use a more accurate (toothed wheel bolted to crank) triggering system than a distributor.

If you are already using a crank trigger, and are only using the distributor to, uhh, distribute the spark (not as a trigger for fuel and spark to the Haltech), then you are getting there, but your poor coil is working 3 times as hard as if you had wasted-spark.

It's not very expensive to get the needed parts, and will be well worth it if it's well tuned.

HTH.