HybridZ

My latest project...a new Z!!

cygnusx1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some overspray, So he might of just painted over the gunk,,,,teehee.

It took one can of gunk foam degreaser, one bottle of some enviro-orange spray, a couple of water spray bottles, and a can of brake-cleaner.  All done on the floor in my garage over a baking pan to catch the grease.  No hose, no powerwash, all manual labor.

This is called a rattlecan rebuild.   :P I'm on a budget.

The motor is out of my 280Z with about 130K miles on it.  Running strong when I pulled it, so no reason to open it up.

814147608_cgVta-XL.jpg

814148315_4Tveh-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

• 2 weeks later...

Test driving the new ride.

Coming from a background of 20 years of driving my 280Z, I like this 240Z chassis better.  My initial impressions are as follows.  

Compared to my 280Z:

The 240Z,

Turns in much quicker.

Quicker steering response.

Lighter on the steering wheel.

Feels more balanced front to rear. (less push).

More feedback to the driver.

No clunk in the drivetrain.

Better dead pedal position.

Has a cool choke lever.

What I like about the 280Z:

Illuminated HVAC controls.

Stronger chassis.

Better weather sealing.

Quieter inside

Center vents can be aimed left to right.

Real glovebox.

Panel that hides the blower motor.

Nice seat belts.

Yeah the L28 is stock with about 135K miles on it.  It's the motor that came out of my 280Z about 7 years ago when I did the turbo swap.  It doesn't hold a candle to the turbo car as far as power, but it is really fun anyhow.  It will get better with time as I make improvements.  The paint is nice but it's 1987 vintage.  It will need some TLC or a strip and respray eventually.  I plan on enjoying all the current nicks, dings, and scratches, worry free for a while though.  As long as the rust stays away, I'm good for now.

I stand corrected and humbled, looks like it turned out great on a budget.

Hey, thanks.  I agree that I could have gotten a cheaper car to start with, but the bottom of this car was so clean, that I saved that much money not having to touch it with nothing other than a barbecue brush to scrub it clean of dirt and dust.  I wasn't even fond of the color until I waxed it and put it in the sun.  The color looks awesome in the sun.  I am totally surprised at how the paint turned out.  I have to add up my receipts....or do I?  I think I will for this build...not for the Silver one though :o

Coming from a background of 20 years of driving my 280Z, I like this 240Z chassis better.  My initial impressions are as follows.  

Compared to my 280Z:

The 240Z,

Turns in much quicker.

Quicker steering response.

Lighter on the steering wheel.

Feels more balanced front to rear. (less push).

More feedback to the driver.

No clunk in the drivetrain.

Better dead pedal position.

Has a cool choke lever.

How much of the difference could be explained by the different suspension setups in each car? There is no doubt that the 240 is indeed lighter but what is the 280 running for shocks/struts?

How much of the difference could be explained by the different suspension setups in each car? There is no doubt that the 240 is indeed lighter but what is the 280 running for shocks/struts?

280Z turbo:

Tokico Illuminas, Tokico 1" lowering springs(rates unknown -from kit), "bump steer" spacers, camber bushings, poly everything, 1-1/8"FSB, 7/8" RSB.  225/50-16, 16x8 Sportmax, Front and rear strut/firewall brace.

240Z wL28:

Tokico Blues, Tokico 1" loweirng springs(rates un known -from kit), "bump steer" spacers, poly everything, 1" FSB, 5/8"? RSB, 225/50-16 16x7 Panasports

All in all, very similar setups. The two feel similar on ride quality.  The 240 has less bump steer too.

Edited by cygnusx1

Great job on the car! I think the steering (turn in, response, etc.) feels better because 240Z has a lower steering ratio. This means that when driving the 240Z (vs. the 280Z), a turn of a steering wheel results in more steering angle. The lighter weight of the 240Z helps out too.