HybridZ

Perhaps Our Cars Really Are Worth More?

Mayolives

Defying expectations at Fall Carlisle

Hagerty News/ 2009-10-07

Carlisle PA was chock-full of cheap and cheerful cars not often seen at auction, in contrast to Monterey where it has become increasingly difficult to find anything under $50,000. Many of the cars in Pennsylvania appeared in fine shape and ready to enjoy. These were a few of our favorites:

1. 1972 Datsun 240Z: Early Zs offer a ton of looks and performance for the money and are particularly rare on the East Coast, where most of them biodegraded some time during the Ford administration. This one, presented in the right shade of Datsun Persimmon Red, looked to be a nice example still wearing its stock – and really unattractive – wheel covers. It was right on the money, selling at $9,500. Both buyer and seller should be happy with this deal.

Like it or not, the more we cut these up, wreck them, and rust them, the values of the remaining will rise. Initially, the purist forms, and lowest VIN's will go up, followed by the pure with any VIN, eventually, even the HybridZ will fetch some dough. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever be able to retire based on the value of my Z.

I can understand a "perfect" Z going for a good high price. My girlfriend's uncle has a cherry 73 240Z. He bought it brand new during his stint in the Army. It is literally perfect on all corners. It sits in a garage 24 hours a day under a car cover. I could easily see it going for 20K. Maybe, one day, I'll get to drive it.

Anything is only worth what someone will pay for it. Hell, some idio...er... some nice gentlemen offered me 10k for my beat to hell (before the resto) mini that ran on 4ish cylinders some of the time. If it wasn't the only thing I had to drive around I would take it in a hearbeat.