HybridZ

Lowering a ZX using stock springs.

jrunner

I want to lower my 280ZX using the stock coil springs. How much of the coil spring do you cut off to lower the car 1 inch? I have all the tools and it is fairly a simple procedure that I have done in the past but have forgotten the ratio. My Springs and Struts are in excellent/new condition and vehicle is used for a daily driver.

Well, I cut two springs out of my front coils and ran them that way for a week (was just temporary till I figured out my other spring setup) and that lowered it about 2-3 inches I think, I'm not sure since I never actually measured it...

You could also just do a trial and error thing, starting out with .5 coil, then 1 coil, then 1.5 coil until you get to where you want to be ;)

I got a suggestion for you if your looking for a good cheap drop. I just got this set up on 82 maxima (very simialar to s130's). I just performed the springs swap over last weekend, and so far, no major issues / problems! (none suspension related, DAMN WATER PUMP)

I used z31 front springs for the front, cut down just a little more than 1.5 coils, probly more like 1.75 coils cut off, they fit in the spring perches real nice too, all nissan related so..... and for the rear, I used 81' mercedes 300d FRONT springs. the merc springs are a good choice because the coils them selves are ALOT thicker, the diameter coil to coil is perfect for the perches / tophats.... it does need about 3.5 coils cut off though, alot longer than the stock rear springs. as you can probly tell, these parts were just found in my local junk yard on the cheap. I've got about 30 dollars in it ROFL. this set up makes for decent ride quality, still smooth on the freeway, on rough streets, it's a LITTLE bouncy, but nothing I can't live with. here's a before and after pic of my maxima:

BEFORE (stuck on off-road-mode):

newwheels2.jpg

newwheels1.jpg

AFTER:

scrapemode.jpg

scrapemode6.jpg

EDIT: NO, IT DOESN'T RUB

cool cool GL with it. here are the MAIN points to remember to do my spring swap:

1. use these for the REAR of your car: ~77'? through ~85'? (mine came from a 81', so SOMEWHERE in there will work) FRONT springs from a mercedes 300D. these are CONSIDERABLY LONGER, so cut off about 3.5 to 4 coils for about a 3 inch drop in the rear, cut less if a slightly higher ride height is desired.

2. Use these for FRONT of your car: z31 NON-turbo FRONT springs, again, the newer / lower mileage the better. cut off about 2 to 2.5 coils for a 3 inch drop in the front, again, cut less off for a slightly higher ride height.

3. I'd suggest using the methods mentioned in this thread already. cut em off .5 coils at a time, see what the they look / ride like, and continue the process until you get your desired ride height and still at a safe height (not rubbing, not bottoming out super easy). I say this because my maxima and your ZX have SOME SMALL differences, and it may NOT be EXACTLY the same. the nice thing about using springs from other cars is, if you f*ck it up, you can just put the uncut stockies back in it LOL that was my logic in doing it this way LOL.

4. once you do get it to the ideal height, start playing with tire / wheel sizes a little, you'll be surprised how much that alone will make a difference hehehehehehe

5. and last but not least, POST PICS once you've done the spring swap!!!!

EDIT: something I forgot to mention.... after the spring swap, about 200-500 miles later, the suspension will " settle in " a little bit and cause about ANOTHER 1/4 to 1/2 inch drop. PLEASE ACCOUNT FOR THIS IN YOU CALCULATIONS!!!