HybridZ

wild rb powered rx7

DREW RBZ

To me, this is a shame, the rotory is a beautiful piece of engineering, and tons upon tons of power is available. i just cant for the life of me understand swapping it for any other engine. In fact, I'd love to swap in a 3 or 4 rotor for the z, and my IS300. to put it this way, if you are able to build a quad rotor, and have a dremel, you can have 450 hp, N/A without sacrificing any drivability. and the torque figures are pretty decent too...

While the rotary may be really cool, it's downfalls supercede that cool factor really very quickly. They're loud, dirty, finicky engines that never seem to hold together in turbocharged form. There is a reason the V8 swap is so popular among RX-7 owners. I think someone did that RX-7 a favor.

-Brandon

Owner of an LS1 FD

While the rotary may be really cool, it's downfalls supercede that cool factor really very quickly. They're loud, dirty, finicky engines that never seem to hold together in turbocharged form. There is a reason the V8 swap is so popular among RX-7 owners. I think someone did that RX-7 a favor.

-Brandon

Owner of an LS1 FD

Agreed

Unless you have access to lots of good used parts rotaries can become very expensive even if you build them on your own.

I for one Love and will always Own Z's and Rx-7's. Its just my grind. I just picked up my 3rd Rx7 last week actually. An 88 10th AE. I Love the Rotary motor as well. The way it works and everyhing. But you just have to admit. They are not as cheap or reliable as a piston motor. I mean when was the last time you heard about a 3000 HP Rotary? Anyone?

Yeah, Rotaries cant handle that kind of power. If and when they do, it wont be reliable power. You will always be anxious and waiting when is it going to blow. Thats actually the way i feel driving my own rx7 which is stock and daily driven.

Some people just Love the motor so much that they will ignore facts of what works and what doesnt. I KNOW! I use to be one of those people. I would put my life on the line to say Rotaries where the ♥♥♥♥! But when it all comes down to it. My beloved Rotary is expensive, Underpowered, No torque, and a Gas Guzzler! But I still Love it!

To me, this is a shame, the rotory is a beautiful piece of engineering, and tons upon tons of power is available. i just cant for the life of me understand swapping it for any other engine. In fact, I'd love to swap in a 3 or 4 rotor for the z, and my IS300. to put it this way, if you are able to build a quad rotor, and have a dremel, you can have 450 hp, N/A without sacrificing any drivability. and the torque figures are pretty decent too...

I agree with what you have to say up to a certain point. I have a friend that has a 3 rotor Turbo Fc 500 hp to the wheels, It sounds amazing! He also has 4 rotor blocks sitting in his shop. But do you know how much one of those motors alone cost? At the very least if someone is trying to give it away 14k!

14K, Just for a motor ALONE! You still have to do all the fab work to get this beast running. Put you down the hole at least another 20k Minimum. Thats also if you happen to be doing all the fab work yourself. If not be ready to dish out quiet a bit in Fabrication Labor. You wont really have any feed back or tech support because not very many people have done this swap.

When in turn even being expensive about it, You can buy an LS1 Crate Motor for 5k Go turbo on it and call it a day for 14k. Which ALOT of people have already done. And parts for it are in bountiful quantities in most local Auto Parts places.

Dyno numbers will be the same too sadly for the 14k you spend on the LS1 Turbo Swap. Compared to the 35K+ 4 rotor NA!

I think what the Scoot will have a major advantage is in Cool Points! You dont see very many around, So your mouth just drops at the sight and sound of one.

Not to say that i wont Love to have a 4 rotor under the hood of my 10th AE, But I'm not a millionaire so i have to stick with what is logical and works. :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with what you have to say up to a certain point. I have a friend that has a 3 rotor Turbo Fc 500 hp to the wheels, It sounds amazing! He also has 4 rotor blocks sitting in his shop. But do you know how much one of those motors alone cost? At the very least if someone is trying to give it away 14k!

14K, Just for a motor ALONE! You still have to do all the fab work to get this beast running. Put you down the hole at least another 20k Minimum. Thats also if you happen to be doing all the fab work yourself. If not be ready to dish out quiet a bit in Fabrication Labor. You wont really have any feed back or tech support because not very many people have done this swap.

When in turn even being expensive about it, You can buy an LS1 Crate Motor for 5k Go turbo on it and call it a day for 14k. Which ALOT of people have already done. And parts for it are in bountiful quantities in most local Auto Parts places.

Dyno numbers will be the same too sadly for the 14k you spend on the LS1 Turbo Swap. Compared to the 35K+ 4 rotor NA!

I think what the Scoot will have a major advantage is in Cool Points! You dont see very many around, So your mouth just drops at the sight and sound of one.

Not to say that i wont Love to have a 4 rotor under the hood of my 10th AE, But I'm not a millionaire so i have to stick with what is logical and works. :burnout:

i dont know how long you have ran with the rotary, but i dont see you having any basis in having this oppinion.

1) i am deeply involved in the rotary lifestyle (rx7club.com-magus2222)

2) i have a friend a town south of me running 750hp 20b running 25lbs boost in the streets, 40lbs on the strip. NEVER had a problem with it, still stupid powerful (oh, and built the entire car for 20g, including the engine)

3) my s5 gtu ran 170k miles while being drifted, auto-x'ed, dd, high speed driving, the whole 9 yards, never had any problems til the oil control rings just failed. never leaked, no cracked irons, housings were still perfect.

so, to say that the rotary is anything short than near perfection is ridiculous. besides, there really isnt many people out there with the balls to mess with them. i am one of the very few people that will build them to extremes and still almost guarentee power for 100k miles or more. so, unless you are one of these people, you really dont have a good basis for a negative oppinion of the rotary.

i love the rotary, but the rb is a beautiful engine as well. im very excited to get my build going on my 280z.

Lloyd

p.s. of for the love of god, if you have a 10th AE, dont bastardize it with a piston engine. leave it alone or sell it, since you obviously cant appreciate the rare factor and bragging rights involved in owning a TRUE 10ae

i dont know how long you have ran with the rotary, but i dont see you having any basis in having this oppinion.

so, unless you are one of these people, you really dont have a good basis for a negative oppinion of the rotary.

i love the rotary, but the rb is a beautiful engine as well. im very excited to get my build going on my 280z.

Lloyd

p.s. of for the love of god, if you have a 10th AE, dont bastardize it with a piston engine. leave it alone or sell it, since you obviously cant appreciate the rare factor and bragging rights involved in owning a TRUE 10ae

I really wouldn't come in here and tell other people that they have no basis for an opinion when it's THEIR opinion. Not everyone has to see things your way.

Also, you seem to have a bit of a purist attitude, at least in regards to the RX-7. This really isn't the place for that sort of talk. Just some friendly advice.

Brandon