HybridZ

Permanent mounting of Autometer gauges

Hey all,

I replaced all of the factory gauges with Autometer Phantom series gauges: 5" tach and speedo, and 2 5/8" oil pressure, voltage, and water temp. I've got them mocked up in the dash now; I gutted the three small stock gauges and placed the new gauges in the outer plastic housings and I'm going to modify the stock metal backing plates to use the stock mounting hardware, but the larger ones are basically resting inside the holes as they are too large to use the stock plastic housings.

I need to know from others who've done it how you solidly mount the 5" tach/speedo gauges inside the dash. It's in a '73 Z if that helps. I've been doing it with the dash inside the car; don't know if it'd be easier to take it out to mount them; the wiring is all done but it should disconnect with relative ease.

Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130304

It shows how the Autometer 5" gauges can be modified to fit inside the stock speedo and tach bezels. I just finished fitting my new gauges and it isn't really too difficult... but the results are great! I also added LEDs to my tach (instructions in the same thread) and extended the trip reset knob so it extends through the stock Datsun speedo lens (yep, instructions for that in the thread too).

Oh yeah, these modifications can be done with the dash in place.

Hope this helps.