HybridZ

Any issues with having more than 1 wheel lock per wheel?

Well I just ordered a $800 rims and I was thinking of installing more than 1 wheel lock per wheel.

Since it's four lug I was thinking using 2 wheel lock(mcgard) on each wheel and the possitioning would be opposite of each other.

They recomend only using 1 per wheel but this car will not be doing any drift or track. The most it will see if acouple of backroad drag racing on some meaty tires (275) 555r tires.

What do you guys think? Can I use more like 2 per side? Or can I even use lock on all four per side?

I know it won't stop thieves but atleast maybe they will rethink it and move to something easier?

I have used aluminum lugs before on my old supra with kumho ecsta tires that are 275. And did not have any issues so I figured these mcgard locks are better quality and stronger than those cheap eBay aluminum lugs.

What's you guys's take on this?

why not go for 4 different sets with 4 different keys? they'd be a flaming headache to you changing a tyre and make no difference to the burglars at all.

That's what I was thinking at first but I wasn't sure if I would run into trouble with using all lock instead of lug nuts. I was asking if it's okay to ride on just lock.

And how often do you change tires? Not a whole lot for me so it's not a headache. Infact the only time I do is when I get new pads or when I retorqe the lugs.

And four set would stop the "average" thief.

As I said I know if they want it badly enough they will take it. So I figure atleast I will try to make it as hard or time consuming as possible.

The only problem is if you misplace one or more of the keys or forget to bring them with you and you get a flat on the road.

If you want more than one lock, 2 locks should be good.

Okay cool I'll stick with 2 per side.

And I don't carry the key. I leave them with my spare tire at home. I only use this to commute to work and school wich is both less than 15 miles. Any thing further and I use the more reliable(stock) wrangler LOL

:beatdeadh

That's what I was thinking at first but I wasn't sure if I would run into trouble with using all lock instead of lug nuts. I was asking if it's okay to ride on just lock.

And how often do you change tires? Not a whole lot for me so it's not a headache. Infact the only time I do is when I get new pads or when I retorqe the lugs.

And four set would stop the "average" thief.

As I said I know if they want it badly enough they will take it. So I figure atleast I will try to make it as hard or time consuming as possible.

I'd worry about running more than one lock nut per wheel. Normally the lock nuts aren't hardened and have a generic shape that doesn't always fit wheels absolutely perfectly and have a maximum torque of about 20lbs. Any more and you risk breaking the nut or the key. Because of that I don't like using wheel locks on 4-lug wheels.

-Eric

• 9 years later...

Well I'm using 2 per wheel and it says in my instructions to tighten them to 140lbs. So I guess I will find out if there's a problem with running more than 1 per tire. We are getting ready to take a 1300 mile trip to Florida. Hopefully if I have a problem it won't happen when we are going through the mountains. 

• 7 months later...

Dont do different ones just use only locking lugs. And to a thief it does matter. Ask me how I know. Its bout slowing a thief down and if I have to take off 5 locking lugs on every wheel it will take me forever and it wont be messed with. Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't using their sense. It takes time to get a locking lug off and sometimes breaks your tool so if you have every lug nut as a locking one only then are you safe. -ask a theif

They make full sets of keyed lug nuts... I have a set on my car, not because I want them but because they had the right shank for my wheels. Unless you go to a machinist for some custom work, you are using off the shelf product that everyone has access to. Someone stealing wheels probably has a toolbox full of these keys... that they stole. I hate needing an extra tool just to get my wheels off but that is just my dumb opinion.

My are is also parked in my garage in suburbia with 4 video cameras watching the house so that makes a difference in mindset I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
I used the Gorilla "The System" all lugs were lock set and then purchased their more secure X2 wheel locks to use one for each wheel.  That provides two keys but each wheel has two different locks. The X2 has two stage spinning systems to make it harder for a theif.  

https://www.gorilla-auto.com/the-system

https://www.gorilla-auto.com/x2-wheel-locks

https://www.gorilla-auto.com/graphics2016/GorillaCatalog2016_Page_35.jpg