HybridZ

240K vs 240z?

Marine1342

Was looking at the Skyline history and came across the model Skyline made in the 70's (same time frame as the s30's) and the C110 generation was being sold under the label 240K

Comparing the pictures it resembles the 240z, at least the rear half, from about the windshield back.

800px-Nissan_Skyline_C111_2000_GTX-E_001.jpg

Just and observation is all. Seemed to be that the Skyline then was inferior to the Z, while today it seems to have changed.

Look at the edge of the window and the quarter window. Looks like a seamless integration from one glass to the other.

On the S30 you have the chrome edging that goes all the way around on both the door and the quarter window, doesn't seem like it would be too hard to fabricate it to look like that.

in person they dont look that much alike

also roughly speaking, the top skyline has always been above a zed (with a better engine, s20 back in the day, fj20, rb26 etc) but has been availible in a lower base trim which is beneath a zed, and is more of a family car - most being 4 seaters and there being 4 door versions

Guest Rolling Parts
...the top skyline has always been above a zed ...

What's a "Zed"? I'm not seeing that model in the Datsun/Nissan line in the States. Was it European only?

Zed is just another name (British English I believe) for the letter Z.

The French also say "zed" for the letter z.

So yes in a way it was "European only" because zed is how Europeans say Z

Still, it is funny to see that the Skyline started as a 'family' car.

And how far the design has come to today's more modern Skyline (although not too happy with it having the same template as the Infinity, which is then shared on the 350/370, but that's another issue.)

Guest Rolling Parts
Zed is just another name (British English I believe) for the letter Z..

Yea, sorry, just pulling your chain. I just think it's funny when people use local dialects instead of the single text character. It just reminds me of reading a "redneck dictionary" where everything is spelled out differently jest t' make ya talk like thays do in yer kuntry. Sorry, it just always catches me funny to be forced into a local dialect just to read the information.

Yeh I usually use Z instead of Zed so as not to confuse those Americans............errrr, what? This is an a US based forum? ........... :confused2:

On the Skyrine, they were just a family sedan or coupe here until the R32 I think it was appeared. From then on they started to take over the performance image of the Z, particularly with the mod and race boys.

You will notice a high interchangability of componentry in the '10 Series' of cars, 110, 510, 610 ,710, 810...

As for being 'inferior' that is debatable. It was a different marketing segment, and it's where the 432 got it's engine from... Skyline was a Prince racing tradition well before the Z was...

And now, unfortunately that faction has won and once again the Skyline is the flagship performance brand of the company. The Z is just a market-nice competitor set up to do battle with the mustang and other such swarf. Not a bad thing in istelf, I just lament the passing of the Z as the flagship sports model in the USA.

One world, one brand, one flagship.

Now, off to eat a steaming delicious serving of lucious lobster claws in Louisiana...