HybridZ

v8 in a 1981 280zx 2+2?

powershotnt

o.k. did a search on the posts but found nothing..yes i am new here any help would be appreciated. I have searched the chevy and ford conversions..all i have seen are 240-280z's..no zx's. In all the threads i have read the chevy creates problems with the distributor below the hood latch and ford has its issues also. Doesn't matter to me as long as its a v8 that puts out at least 330hp. Anyone on here have any major input about converting a 280zx and in their opinion why a chevy or a ford??? I hope i don't create a firestorm..

JTR have some mounts for the ZX. Have you checked out their site?

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Hope you find what you need. Searching is key here, do as much as you can then take a break to let thought settle and do some more! Hope to see a good build thread.

yes i have seen the jtr site..will a ford or chevy mount up to their adapters? or is it all meant for gm only???

Guest Rolling Parts
yes me too..please reread my original post

You said "all i have seen are 240-280z's..no zx's."

That's why I gave you a ZX hyperlink that I found in 10 seconds.

Personally, I would not invest the $5-6K required to do a decent redesign of a 2+2 ZX driveline/suspension/cooling/instrumentation on top of the $3-5K body rust restoration you're already doing, but to each his own. Also allot 4 times the project time that you think it will take because it will be a "learning process" (read, all the money you put into it will go for education, not resale value). Just realize that the "free 280ZX 2+2" will end up costing the same as a turbo converted 240Z of better performance and looks and parts support and resale and fun and admiring looks from other drivers while offering the same level of education. YMMV.

Good luck with it.

Also, don't worry about a distributor, going distributorless is EASY compared to the rest of the project.

You said "all i have seen are 240-280z's..no zx's."

That's why I gave you a ZX hyperlink that I found in 10 seconds.

Personally, I would not invest the $5-6K required to do a decent redesign of a 2+2 ZX driveline/suspension/cooling/instrumentation on top of the $3-5K body rust restoration you're already doing, but to each his own. Also allot 4 times the project time that you think it will take because it will be a "learning process" (read, all the money you put into it will go for education, not resale value). Just realize that the "free 280ZX 2+2" will end up costing the same as a turbo converted 240Z of better performance and looks and parts support and resale and fun and admiring looks from other drivers while offering the same level of education. YMMV.

Good luck with it.

Also, don't worry about a distributor, going distributorless is EASY compared to the rest of the project.

Just because you prefer the 240/260 over the zx doesn't mean others do. If you want to stick to the flock and don't want to be different then thats your choice. ;)

Guest Rolling Parts
Just because you prefer the 240/260 over the zx doesn't mean others do. If you want to stick to the flock and don't want to be different then thats your choice. ;)

Oh, I agree completely and the V8 goes well in the stiffer ZX chassis.:iagree:

This is after all Hybridz.org so pretty much anything goes.

It's just that starting with a very rusty non-sentimental 2+2 ZX as the starting point of a major investment is awfully unusual.

I'm almost done with my ZX v8 swap. Its not a 2+2, but it shouldn't be much of a difference other than drive shaft length. I used the JTR kit, which allows for a sbc to be bolted to the stock zx xmember. The engine position is adjustable, so I had no fitment issues with the distributor.

Oh, I agree completely and the V8 goes well in the stiffer ZX chassis.:iagree:

This is after all Hybridz.org so pretty much anything goes.

It's just that starting with a very rusty non-sentimental 2+2 ZX as the starting point of a major investment is awfully unusual.

Sorry for jumping but there seems to be an increase on ney sayers just flaming people for putting their ideas on the open forum just because they don't match with the responding persons thoughts on how things should be done. I'm all for people trying things that are far out and different. Sometimes it creates a whole subculture and a wealth of knowledge. The 'can you turn a 280zx into an Awd.' thread is a good example. Just getting tired of people flamming for the sake of flamming and not being constructive.

Steve

Guest Rolling Parts

Actually, when someone posts that they can't find ANY info on a V8 in a ZX on this site, I'm surprised no one actually became "inflammatory" at all...

Guest Rolling Parts
You have to admit, there is only a fraction of information for an s130 v8 swap compared to the s30. Perhaps a few of us ZX guys should write a sticky and solve this?

No, the same amount of information exists.

Since the engine and drive line are identical, the basic swap is identical.

The rest of the body is irrelevant since the dimensions on what is removed is identical and what is being installed is identical.

EDIT: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1091055#post1091055

If the hood latch becomes a problem, just ditch it and use hood pins.

Since I only have had s130, headers MAY be limited due to steering components.

It will be nice to see a 2+2 s130 built up.

You can always swap to another shell if you feel the need. Just shorten drive shaft if necessary.

I have a 1983 280zx 2+2 turbo I successfully swaped a 94 LT1 4L60E package into. I used the headers JTR sells that clear the steering shaft. Had a local shop cut/balance a GM driveshaft to fit. JTR didn't have the engine/trans mounts for sale when I did my swap. I used the MSA ones. I would strongly recommend NOT using MSA's for the ZX (I had a hell of a time getting the motor mounts in and had to modify the trans mount for proper driveline angles). I currently have the LT1 out and already have JTR's mount kit for when the motor goes back in. Guy on here has a website about his swap. http://datsun-280zx-lt1.com

I am gonna jump on board with Hunterzed here and Rollingparts lol. There have been some indescriminant flaming here and there and I agree it seems to go against what this forum is all about. On the flip side I agree with Rolling parts Search feature statement. Thing is the Zx's don't have as much overall coverage as our S30 brethren. This is not really a bad thing. Look at it like a generational thing, The old schoolers got their homework done on their cars, now it's our turn. I've posted under our S130 sub catagory and hope people get on board. If we don't have the answers lets find them! My $.02 anyhow,

Jason