HybridZ

13 inch floating rotor set up with pics

Looking for comments. This is just a mock up caliper, I know the bleed screws are down.

This uses a wilwood hat pn 170-6583 with a new lug pattern drilled in the hat.

Wilwood rotor 13.06 x 1.25 GT 48 curved vane rotor

Hardware is from wilwood

Caliper brackets are custom made from .25 inch thick chrome moly steel

I have Arizona Z's aluminum hubs.

With a few tweeks of the hub by Dave, his stock brackets could be used so the only machining needed would be drill the new lug pattern in the hat.

DSC00068.JPG

DSC000691.JPG

DSC00074.JPG

Mark, that looks nice.

What's the advantages of the floating rotor? Eliminating the vibration/rotor shimming/knockback issues? Does it float radially, laterally, or both?

They must be made of some really lightweight material. I haven't actually tried them, but I'm pretty sure none of my rotors would float.

jt :D

That hat is as close as it gets unless you have a custom hat made.

I always need more brake especially at CMP.

I'm hoping a floating assembly will get rid of the pulsations that come with a few hot laps at CMP on rotors that have only a couple of track days on them.

I think the way this works is that a floating setup allows uniform expansion of the rotor since it is not bound to the hat, reducing pulsation, rotor wear and cracking.

Mark,

I've been looking to do the same thing with floating 13 inchers but was looking at 170-7038 hats. They are 2" offset and wouldn't require redrilling. Are you working with Dave to tweak the caliper brackets? Maybe tweak them to relocate the caliper to make up for the .12 difference in hat offset would work? I have MM billet 5 lug hubs and I'm not sure if there is an offset difference between them and the AZC pieces. If at all possible I'd like to have the caliper positioned to use an off the shelf hat and rotor. Modifying the caliper mount seems to be the likely way to go.

What do you think?

Joe

Mark,

I've been looking to do the same thing with floating 13 inchers but was looking at 170-7038 hats. They are 2" offset and wouldn't require redrilling. Are you working with Dave to tweak the caliper brackets? Maybe tweak them to relocate the caliper to make up for the .12 difference in hat offset would work? I have MM billet 5 lug hubs and I'm not sure if there is an offset difference between them and the AZC pieces. If at all possible I'd like to have the caliper positioned to use an off the shelf hat and rotor. Modifying the caliper mount seems to be the likely way to go.

What do you think?

Joe

The hat you have specified is not a floating hat. The rotor mounts solid to that hat. A 2 inch offset on my set up would require moving the caliper .25 inches toward the outside of the car. That reduces the bracket thickness to only .12 inches. That would not work. I reduced the thickness of the bracket to .25 inches and everything lines up on my setup. How close does a 2 inch offset get you?

You hubs may be a different offset. If you can use that hat and your hubs and get a 13 inch set up to bolt on, go for it. I went with the floating setup because this is a track only car and it eats rotors for lunch.

I had contacted Dave a while back about making some brackets in steel and he was not interested at that time. The hot ticket on this setup would be to get Dave involved. It would require a run of hubs that were

1) Offset .12 inches toward the inside of the car

2) Had a .25 inch thick shoulder to center the brake hat

3) had the holes drilled and tapped to accept the locating screws around the perimeter to hold the hat to the hub.

All that would be needed then would be to drill a new lub pattern in the willwood hat. I'd bet Dave could have that done also. It would be a nice option in my opnion.

• 2 years later...