HybridZ

Gettting a 1976 280z soon, not in the best condition.

My uncle used to be a repo guy and one of the cars he got to keep from said job was a 1976 Datsun 280z. Unfortunately he is not the best at taking care of things. So this amazing car has been sitting idle at his farm for the past six years.

The car has a very dirty interior and the paint is peeling rediculously, and other than a spot on the hood the car is rust free. I'm not sure what all is wrong with the mechanical aspects, but I will be suprised if they're in a good condition. But for a free project car, you really can't complain.

My father and I are going to restore it and hopefully have it done before I go off to college next year. My uncle is currently working on getting us the title.

I was just wondering if people on these forums could give me a rough estimate on how much it's going to cost to restore it? Sorry, I don't have any pictures at the moment.

Congrats on the free car! But without pictures and figuring out just what kind of condition its in, there is no sure way to even estimate what it will cost. It depends on what you want to do to it. After sitting for six years, even a pristine car is going to need a lot to get going again. It'll take time but if its pretty straight, it'll be worth it.

Yeah, I know it's pretty pointless without pictures.

The car is 40 mins away from where I live, so next time I'm up there I will definitely take some pictures.

I will get some pictures of the exterior, but I will wait on photographing the interior until I vacuum it. lol

Welcome to HBZ

I doubt the car is "rust free" do a search for some common rust spots and give it a good look over. I am willing to be the floor boards have a little cancer.

As far as cost what are your goals??? Stock, V8, other engine, How about HP goals? If you give us a little more info that would help.

For a budget give your self a good guesstimate on what you want, then triple it!

I'm not being funny, but it will cost as much as you have to put into it. There is no final end to these cars. It is always, "I am all done now except for............" Find a place you are comfortable with and just drive it. Set small, achievable goals, and accomplish them one at a time. Get it running, get it driving, get it looking okay, get the interior done, get the exterior done, tires, wheels, stereo, performance mods, ect. Not all or any in any order, but realistic goals. Tons of car projects start out with great intentions, get stripped down and then are sold on craigslist or ebay because the owner got overwhelmed and or lost interest. Get it titled before you put a nickle into it. Budget 3 grand to go from a heap to modest streetable (with some pride along with) countless hours of work and go up from there. Good luck!

I agree with Idaho, but would add at least $1000 to the estimate. Now this doesn't have to be done all at once. AS Idaho said establish a goal as to where you want the car to be, make a timetable as to when each portion of the project will be completed and then stick to your plan!!

good luck and keep us appraised of your progress.

Guest Rolling Parts

You'll thank me for this later...

1)Get the "free" car into your possession, and preserve it.

2)Buy a running 280Z for $2,000.

This way you have a running car to play with AND a complete parts car for $2,000.

You could rebuild that "free" car for $4,000 and not have a parts car if that's what you want to do.......

If the car is truly rust free then you already have one of the hardest parts to come by. If you are wanting to drive the car right away and repair or restore it a little at a time then you would definitely want to make sure the car is safe to drive; otherwise a lot depends on how deep you want to go into a restoration.

You'll thank me for this later...

1)Get the "free" car into your possession, and preserve it.

2)Buy a running 280Z for $2,000.

This way you have a running car to play with AND a complete parts car for $2,000.

You could rebuild that "free" car for $4,000 and not have a parts car if that's what you want to do.......

What he said.

Thanks for all the replies guys. :)

I do understand that it would be easier to buy a running Z and use the free one for parts. The problem is that I would most likely have to drive quite a distance and I don't have the lump sum of money to buy one right now.

I have a running car, a 96 nissan sentra. lol.

So restoring the 280z is just something I want to have done by August.

My dad's best friend owns a auto repair shop, so I'm just going to put small amounts of money into the car as I go.

It's $180 for the title, so I should have it before Christmas and be able to start working on the car in January.

If it takes you till late Dec to get $200, I wouldnt count on having it done next year.

Well I'm going to Vegas with my parents for Thanksgiving, so that's where most of the money I have is going right now. But I'll be graduating early, so I can get a job in January. The money from which will be going towards the car.

From working on projects in the past all I can say is plan, plan, plan; and then plan for the unexpected. Don't let time dictate what you want to do, have an idea of what you want to accomplish and wait until you have the funds to do it. If you don't you will only regret it in the end.