HybridZ

240mm vs 225 clutch turbo/2+2 vs na

woldson

I'm looking for some clarity.

Some may know the I was able to put a beck arnly 240mm/turbo/2+2 clutch assembly into may s130/83/280zx.

I got a turbo/2+2 fly wheel from Zya and put that on my engine that came with said car. The bolts are from the na.

Then I put the clutch assembly (disk and pressure plate) on that flywheel using the six bolts that came off the na fly wheel.

The collar and fork that I used are the ones that came with my car. The throw out bearing came with that kit.

The clutch assembly was bought at shucks, now shucks orlliy.

I've not drilled holes in my bell housing to check for tolerances, however, their has not been a problem for 5-8000 miles. A lot of smokies as well.

The installation went off without a hitch, no modding of the slave or fork.

It worked the first time without pumping or bleeding the hydraulic system for the master or slave.

There has been a recent post in the L6 sub forum and in the 280zx sub forum recently concerning na vs turbo/2+2, (240mm vs 225mm) clutch swaps.

So I'm taking this to the drive-line topic to better, (clarify), related problem that others have had.

Problems

1. collars

2. Transmission types

3. Clutch forks

4. Slaves (clutch slaves)

Here are some interesting links while searching for some answers.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=151832&highlight=240mm+clutch

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132214&highlight=240mm+clutch

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=146546&highlight=240mm+clutch

From reading, it seems there might be some definitive answers concerning this issue.

I don't want to post my conclusions yet for future searching.

Please help me and others with definitive conclusions and experience.

The older flywheel/clutch assemblies are longer from the crank mounting surface to where the throwout bearing rides on the pressure plate fingers. I believe it's just the pressure plate, not the flywheels that are different. To compensate for this, nissan used longer clutch collars to get the throwout bearing within the right distance to actuate the pressure plate.

Well I dug into my archives and came up with this:

The critical dimension for the throw out bearing sleeve is the distance between the surface that the fork contacts and the surface that the throw-out bearing seats on when pressed onto the sleeve. I can't guarrantee this information is 100% accurate, but it is consistant with my personal experience with Z car clutches. This list was compiled by Carl Beck of zhome.com.

For the 225mm clutch disc (2 seat coupe) -

up to 8-'71 240, 16mm, 30501-U0200

9-'71 to 11-'74 240 and 260, 18mm, 30501-S0200

from 12-'74 280 and 280ZX, 28mm, 30501-N1600

For the 240mm clutch disc (2+2) -

all 240mm/2+2, 24mm, 30501-0H600

As I mentioned before, the distance that is changing on the pressure plate is the height from the flywheel up to the release fingers on the pressure plate that the throw-out bearing presses on. Because the pivot for the clutch fork is closer to the throw-out bearing, this difference is multiplied out at the slave cylinder.

Another problem is that it seems to be common to recieve a 280Z clutch set when a 240/260Z clutch is ordered. I bought a Clutch Masters clutch for my 240Z that even had a different part number than the 280Z, yet I still needed the longer 280Z sleeve.

This is the 3rd link, 8th post, found it very interesting.

Flywheel thickness is the same if I remember correctly measuring the two I had, 225mm vs 240mm.

I'll through in my setup that I just installed last week.

I am running a 83ZX N/A 5 speed with stock collar. Running a SPEC Lighweight flywheel with a clutchmasters 240mm stage 3 clutch kit with through out bearing from kit. I am also running my stock N/A slave. I adjusted the master cylinder rod at the pedal and I am all gravy and it shifts fine.