HybridZ

dry ice? say what?

jumpman2334

ok, my 78 280z has a little bit of surface rust on the floor board, and i was scraping the thick, rubbery, sound barrier crap they put on there, it was such a pain in the ass (and i wanted to take all of it off, and make sure i got all the rust), then i came across this, skip to 6:15. dry ice takes that stuff off? anyone else got more info on this? thanks.

edit:

im a goober, forgot certain embad codes dont work here. heres the link.

http://motormavens.com/2009/10/webmining-diary-of-a-serial-tire-killer/#comments

oh and is it a bad idea to remove all of the sound barrier stuff, then get rid of the rust, then paint some flat black paint to seal it all up? i dont care if itll make the ride a little noisier... i just dont want to do it, and then down the road, find it serves another purpose i didnt know it did in the first place.

although you can also get a small blow torch and heat it, then scrape. its nearly as easy...

Yes, but wouldn't that stink up the interior, like a hot mop roofing crew had been working in his car? And wouldn't the heat ruin the undercoating on the bottom of the car? I'm assuming his car is street driven. I would go with dry ice.

for the hair dryer, wouldnt it make it all goey and such?

oh and would removing the sound insulation stuff make the inside louder by a noticeable margin? i really wouldnt mind. i was just planning on removing it all and doing a few coatings of some industrial grade rustoleum flat black paint. would that be good to do? or should i try and do the rubber coating again?

We removed all of our hard rubber insulation with an air chisel, found some rust pits but not holes, sand blasted and primed. Yesterday I found this coating it is a local company. I have been told if you use this and Dyna mat it will insulate and sound deaden beyond what new cars have.

http://www.lizardskin.com/

LizardSkin® Sound Control Formula

LizardSkin® SC formula is an advanced, water-based composition of high-grade acrylic binders with sound-damping particles. Proven sound damping technology enables LizardSkin® SC to dramatically reduce noise when properly applied. It also protects surfaces from moisture and corrosion and can withstand temperatures to 300° F. (149° C.)

Lizard_SC.jpg

Call 1-800-549-0043

to order

How Much Do I Need?

LizardSkin® SC is used by custom car, street rod, truck builders and RV owners who want to reduce unwanted noise and/or enhance the sound of their high end audio systems. It is best applied by special spray gun to a clean and dry primed or painted rust-free steel. Typical applications include firewalls, floor pans, transmission tunnels, doors, hoods, trunk lids, under headliners, inside fenders, panel van walls and other areas that generate vibration and noise. For maximum acoustic performance, coat entire interior surface and the floor inside and out.

• Dramatically reduces noise and vibration
  • Protect surfaces from moisture and corrosion
  • Withstand temperatures to 300° F. (149ª C.)
  • Class A Fire-rated
  • Each 2 gallon container covers 40-45 sq. feet @ 40 mils (40 mils = 1 millimeter)

For detailed product information, please download the LizardSkin Sound Control Spec Sheet and the Master Safety Data Sheet.

ey, whats up, im from sacramento also and you can find dry ice at savemart on fulton and marconi. lol. but yea, i would not use it if i was you. i tried it 4 weeks ago and it takes longer than you would think. you would have to leave it on there and work sections at a time only because it will only cover so much 1x1 square. i used a nice machanix glove with cushion to protect my palm and chisel/hammer/screwdriver away. way faster than waiting for the ice to kick in. i used a pudding knife to scrap/knock extra tiny pieces off because it covers more ground with one sweep. as crappy as it looks, it same out alright with just one coat of rustbullet spray.

SDC11624.jpg

You can actually rent a Dewar from Praxair in Santa Anna, It was a few years ago, but I remember it being pretty cheap. BTW Praxair is a welding supply company for those who don’t know. It was a few gallons worth. If you have any extra of the liquid nitrogen you can mix it with milk and have fun with the whole family and some homemade ice cream Yaaaaah. No don’t do this…

You can actually rent a Dewar from Praxair in Santa Anna, It was a few years ago, but I remember it being pretty cheap. BTW Praxair is a welding supply company for those who don’t know. It was a few gallons worth. If you have any extra of the liquid nitrogen you can mix it with milk and have fun with the whole family and some homemade ice cream Yaaaaah. No don’t do this…

Hahahaha